Chapter 13

"Okay, Jon! I'm ready to go now," I told Jonathan as I came out from the kitchen with my hoodie on and my apron off, showing my worn down jeans.

"Alright! Great, now let's go... Shall we," He asked and smiled at me as he hopped up from his seat at the front counter.

"Okay! Where are we going," I asked as we walked out of the diner. Jon held the door for me as well, what a gentleman.

"Well, I was thinking that maybe we could maybe go and grab a bite to eat at a food truck or something and then go back to my place and play some board games or something. Alright with you, Jess," He asked, coming up to my side with a smile playing on his flawless face.

I nodded and looked down, blushing when he called me 'Jess'. No one's ever found me important enough to give me a nickname. "Yeah, that's completely fine! Perfect actually!"

Jon smiled down at me, adorably, and slowly reached over grabbing my right hand with his left one. I mentally "yess'ed" and continued walking forward trying not to acknowledge the fact that I was a little over excited about it.

"Good! Because then I wouldn't've known what to do," Jon admitted and let out a little chuckle as our arms swung together.

"One thing that you'll learn pretty quickly is that I'm really laid back and could do just about anything. I don't really like to be controlling," I answered to him and glanced up at him with a smile.

He looked back and smiled brightly, "Oh, I'll be sure to remember that when we go sky diving! You won't hesitate or object?"

I giggled and shook my head, "Nope! I would be perfectly fine with that. I mean hell! I'm a farm girl, so I'm willing to take a few risks."

"Ah, fearless! That can be great in a woman," Jonny commented back.

I giggled and saw a pancake truck, "Ooo! Can we go to the pancake truck! I absolutely love Pancakes. When I was little we'd get done at Church and then when we'd get back my Mom would make my dad and I pancakes before we worked on stuff on the farm."

"Of course we can! What do you want," He asked as we both stood in front of the large menu.

I began pulling a crumpled ten out of my pocket. Jonny put his hand on my shoulder and shook his head, "No! I'm the gentleman! I'll pay for us!"

"Jonny! It's okay, I can pay for myself," I informed giving him a look. He doesn't even know and he still wants to buy me stuff. Or does he know?

"Nope! I've got this Jess! Now, what do you want," He asked looking at me with a raised eyebrow.

I gave him a look before stating, "A short stack please."

He smiled at me briefly before walking up to the window and ordering. Within a minute he was coming over with 2 short stacks of pancakes, "I'm sorry but it's not right making the girl pay. Especially on the first date... But anyways... To my place? You can eat and walk right?"

I nodded and mumbled, "I'm sorry. But I like establishing myself. I like to be able to support myself."

"Hey," Jon stepped in front of me and placed his free hand on my arm, "I'm sorry if I offended you. I just... It doesn't feel right." He started to sound a little sad.

I can't make him sad, "It's fine Jonny. It's just frustrating when someone just hands me stuff."

"That's fine. So, are we good then, Jess," he asked raising his eyebrows and dropping his hand from my arm. His beautiful dark brown eyes were wide... And amazing.

I nodded and gave him a little smile before questioning, "So you didn't drive to the diner like you normally do?"

"Nah, I figured that it'd be nice to get a little extra exercise. I need to stay in shape, the playoffs start next week Tuesday," he informed and smiled back at me realizing that I was changing the subject.

"Haha yeah, it'll be a very busy time of the year for both you and I. I have to keep studying for Finals. I've decided that this will be one of my last night's not studying. I need to hit it hard and I cannot wait to start a new job, doing what I love," I told him with a small smile on my face.

I really want my future to be a good one. I want to paint myself a nice future. I never want to be as poor as I am right now. I wouldn't wish those struggles upon my worst enemy.

"Yeah, I bet. I remember being very on edge when it came time for the Draft. I remember working my ass off knowing that there were a lot of scouts' eyes on me. So, you're going to school for physical therapy, right? I don't know why I can't remember what you said before," Jonny commented and looked over at me stuffing some of his pancake in his mouth.

I stuffed my own pancake in my mouth and swallowed before replying, "Yeah. After I graduate I have 2 internships lined up. I don't know what they are yet!"

"Well, our Physical Therapist put in a notice saying that he was only going to be here until the end of not this season, but next. Maybe you'll be shadowing him," Jon told me cheerily and smiled with his pancakes still stuffed in his mouth. He looked like a total chipmunk.

I giggled and noted, "Maybe. I don't know. I guess I'll find out when I, fingers crossed, graduate in 3 weeks!"

"You will Jess! You're a very smart girl who seems to know what she's doing! Is your family coming to your graduation?"

I shook my head, "Nah, they disapproved of the whole leaving the farm thing. So, I haven't gone back, and they haven't bothered to contact me. So fuck them. They don't need to be there when I graduate."

"I'm uh... Sorry about that... I can come... If you'd like me to. It's pretty clear that you've done a lot of work to get where you are... And you deserve to have someone there," Jonny replied and looked down at me with a raised eye brow.

"If you'd like to you can... Sue and Tony are coming. It's not really that big of a deal! I don't need people to come. Hell, I'd probably be okay with just getting my diploma in the mail. I mean it's not all that big of a deal. I've already got internships lined up. So," I replied and shrugged.

"Not that big of a deal?! Jess! You're crazy! You realize that, that paper is basically the ticket to the rest of your life, right? You've worked your ass off too much to not walk across that stage on graduation day. I haven't known you for all that long... But Jess. I know it's what you've been working hard towards. And you'll regret it in the future! Now, when is your graduation," He asked as he finished his little rant.

"May 18th," I mumbled in return.