Chapter 8

About an hour before close Jonathan Fucking Toews walked into the diner with a little hop in his step and all his glory, "Hey Jessie! How are you today!?" He had and odd, goofy smile that I've never seen playing on his face.

I raised an eyebrow in question and slowly replied, "Uh... I've been pretty good. Uh how are you today Jonathan?"

"Pretty darn good! I'll have a cup of coffee and some of that apple pie over there," He told me and kept smiling at me.

I folded my arms and gave him a look, "Jonathan I don't think you want that this late! Have you been drinking tonight?"

"Nope," He popped the 'p', "I'm just in a really good mood and I actually came here to ask you a really important question!"

I let a little giggle out and kept my arms crossed, "Okay, then. What is your question, Jonathan?"

He looked down kinda nervous and then back up at me, "Do you maybe want to go out on a date tomorrow night? I know its short notice, but I really like you and it would really mean al-."

"Yes," I cut him off and smiled at him. He stopped rambling and looked at me with a larger smile than ha hand on his face before.

"Really!?!?" I nodded in response, "Yes! Thank you! I didn't think you'd say yes! I was all jittery about this and Kris gave me some kind of relaxer and encouraged me to come and see you!"

I giggled and replied, "Honey, I think it wasn't a relaxer. I think it may have been a caffeine pill. You're quite hyper right now."

"No! That's insane! Kris would never do this to me! He is a great guy and a great encourager," He exclaimed with his brown eyes wide.

He looked like a little kid, "Maybe a truth pill too." I couldn't help but giggle. He was being beyond adorable as he peered his big brown eyes at me.

"I don't know what you're talking about! That seems to be a load of cra-," and he stopped talking, looking around the diner.

"Eh, Jonny, are you okay," I asked looking at him with my dark blue eyes and hands on my hips.

"Yeah... But... How'd I get here? I was at Kris' place the last time I check- Did you call me Jonny," He asked looking at me with shock playing in his brown eyes.

"Uh you said that Kris gave you some kind of relaxer," I asked and raised an eyebrow folding my arms over my chest and stifled a laugh.

"Oh... Yeah... Steeger... That bastard," Jonny mumbled and looked everywhere but my face.

I felt embarrassed and smiled at him unsure... "You uh asked me out for tomorrow night," I told him and sighed shakily. He probably really doesn't want to go out with me.

"And what'd you say," He questioned and looked up at me with a hopeful look playing on his face and in his eyes.

"I said yes," It came out as more of a question. I smiled at him hoping it would be a good reaction.

"Great! So then should I pick you up at your place tomorrow at like six then," Jon asked and raised his eyes brows at me, in question.

"Uh no," I shook my head rapidly, "You can pick me up here. I actually get off at like six." I'm sorry. I still refuse to let him find out that I don't live in my own place.

"Oh! Then I can pick you up at your place at seven if you'd like. It could give you time to get ready... By the way you can dress casual," He informed and raised an eyebrow at me.

Thank god. I don't have anything nice to wear. "Nah, six is perfectly fine! You can pick me up here. I'll be sure to be ready for you," I replied and smiled at him while leaning up against the back counter.

Jonathan gave me a skeptical look and replied, "Okay... If you're sure about that then I guess I can pick you up here at 6!"

"Yeah, that's perfectly fine by me," I replied with a smile and walked over to the coffer maker with a mug in hand. No matter how late it is... I always need caffeine, "Do you still want your apple pie?"

Jon gave me an awkward look, "Did I really ask for apple pie?"

I nodded and giggled before replying, "haha yeah you did. So you still want some?"

"Nah, I'm good. Just a cup of coffee is good. We've got an off day tomorrow so I can easily sleep in for once," Jonathan told me and motioned to my cup of black coffee.

"Alright," I mumbled and leaned down to grab a mug and then walked over to the coffee maker pouring Jonathan a cup of coffee. "Here you go Jonny!"

"I could get used to that," He smiled and took a sip of his cup of coffee. He really has a nice smile.

"Get used to what," I asked and pulled my own mug away from my mouth. Gosh. Black coffee is a gift from above.

"To you calling me Jonny. I really like it. When you say it, it has a nice ring to it," He told me and folded his hands, still smiling up at me.

"Eh," I replied and giggled a little bit, "Jonny, why don't you tell me about yourself?"

He smiled back at me, "Well, I'm from Winnipeg... And I have a younger brother who is also into Hockey. My favorite color is blue... I love working out... And yeah..."

"That's cool, really cool actually. So when did you first start skating," I asked and pulled a stool across the floor, setting it in front of him. I propped my elbows up on the front counter.

"Ah, probably when I was like 3. I know it was like I was learning to walk when I first got out on the ice. My dad was always right there behind me, holding me up until I actually could walk, and skate," Jonathan replied with smile and took another sip of his coffee.

"That's really cool," I enthused and smiled at him.

"And you said that you know how to skate? You said that your dad used to flood the farm fields and you'd skate," He asked and looked at me with a questionable look on his face.

"Yeah! Those were some good times," I told him and smiled happily at him. I wish I could have a fun time doing something like that again.

"That's cool! Where're you from that you lived on a farm," Jonathan asked and raised an eyebrow at my questionably.

"Oh, I grew up in Wisconsin. We were actually pretty close to the boarder of Minnesota. It was great to live up there! As much of a country girl I really am... I love to be in the city as well. So my parents are still living in Wisconsin and I'm living here," I told him and let out a sigh at the end of my little story.

"Ah, sometimes I miss not being in a small town sometimes," Jonny replied and let out a sigh as well, "Sometimes I want to go home just to get away from being a captain. It's a lot more stress than you think."

"Oh, I know a few things about stress," I replied half seriously, but he didn't need to know that.

~~~ Let me know what you thought! Thanks for reading! :)