Chapter 3

It was a few more weeks until Jonathan came into the diner again. "Hey, Jessie! I'll uh have the Everything Omelet and a glass of water," Jonathan exclaimed and sat down in front of me as I read a book for school. Only about a month and a half until graduation.

"You hear that Tony," I called not even looking up from my book. I continued to read.

"Sure did, Jess," He yelled and made some noses with his spatula. I sighed. This book seems to be dragging on and on.

"So, Jess, how much longer until you graduate now," Jonathan asked as I placed a glass of water in front of him without even looking up from the book in my hand.

"Uh... Month and a half," I mumbled and kept on reading. I cannot wait until I am finished with school. As much as I love this diner... I can't wait for another job... One that pays good money.

"Ah that's pretty cool... So uh I was wondering if you'd like to come to our game against the Bruins tonight," He asked as he pulled something out of his coat pocket.

I quickly glanced up to see that it was an envelope. I looked back down at my book before mumbling an apology, "Sorry, Jonathan. I wish I could, but I've gotta work tonight!"

"Well, aren't you working right now? Why would you work tonight too," He questioned and took a sip of his water.

I put down my book and let out a long sigh, "I'm sorry, Jonathan, but no! I've got to do something called working! Not all of us can have a scandalous dream job like you! Some of us have to give an arm and leg to go through school!" I slammed by book down on the table. I get defensive when I feel like someone offends me.

"Well sorry. I guess breakfast is on me," he exclaimed and slapped a 100$ bill on the counter before quickly storming out of the diner.

I let out a big sigh and put my head down on the counter before quickly looking over at Sue. "Honey! Don't look at me! Go after him! I've got you covered for the rest of the day!" I grabbed the envelope and 100$ bill before going leaving.

I sighed and quickly jogged out of the diner and into the direction that Jonathan went in. It lead me to a parking lot where he was sitting in a Mercedes-Benz. He had his head down sitting on the steering wheel.

I quickly moved up to it and rapped on the window. His head quickly shot up and he looked at me with wide eyes before rolling down the window, "What, Jessie?"

"I'm sorry Jonathan... I'd... I'd love to come to the game tonight," I told him and crossed my arms as if it really was keeping me warm.

"Oh shit! You must be freezing! Jump in," Jonathan told me and unlocked his car with a 'click'. I rushed to the other side and jumped in as he rolled up his window.

"Listen Jonathan... I'm sorry. It's just... I'm trying to get this done... And get the fuck out of that diner. They may be like family... But... I just can't do it much longer. I need to go out there and make a living for myself," I told him and looked him dead in the eyes.

"I'm sorry I didn't think of that Jessie. I just... You're wonderful... And I'd really like to have you some to a game of ours," He mumbled and let out a long sigh.

I sighed in return and replied, "That's... I can and will come to your game... In fact... Sue gave me the rest of the day off... Would you like to... Maybe hang out?"

"Of course! But uh... Don't you want to grab your stuff," he questioned with an eye brow raised.

I shook my head and replied, "I'll just grab that stuff after the game tonight. What do you want to do?"

"Uhm... Do you want to head back to my place and maybe watch a movie or something while I make us breakfast," He asked and looked over at me with a little smile playing on his face.

I nodded, "That sound's great... Hey, I know you're Canadian... But do you have Miracle?! It's like the best movie ever."

He chuckled and turned his car on, "For sure! What hockey fan doesn't have Miracle... Unless their Russian. I can't tell you how many times we've had heated conversations about that in the locker room about it with the Russians."

"Haha, I bet! It's my favorite movie not only because I'm an American but because it's given me so many inspiring things. I remember when I was little my dad would flood one of our farm fields just so I could go skating on it. I would always pretend that I was Mike Eruzione scoring that goal in the game against Russia," I told him with a little giggle as I put my seat belt on.

"That's great. I think all of us looked up to that game growing up. And I know Sharpy's daughter is in love with it. She's obsessed and has completely memorized a lot of the lines. He almost killed me when I got it for her on DVD for her birthday," Jonathan said and chuckled as he drove down the street.

"So... Are you close to the guys," I asked and looked down at my lap. I wish I could be close. I wish I could have a team where we're all so bonded that we were like Family. Instead all I've got is Sue and Tony... They're like the parents that support me, which I've never had.

"Yeah. Steeger and Sharpy are my main men! I don't know why people always think it's always Kaner and I. At first we were totally best friends but then he started to grow close with some of the other guys," Jonathan explained and made a turn into a parking garage.

Holy shit. He lives in like the nicest building in Chicago. My breath got caught in my throat. This is crazy. There is no way. Holy...

He and I quickly got out of the car. I followed him up to his 23 floor condo. "Wow, this is such a nice place Jonny," I informed as I looked around and shuffled over to the window. It had a nice view of the city. In fact... I could see my shitty apartment building, on the iffy/bad side of the city.

Jonathan's breath was practically on the back of my neck before his deep voice started not very far from my ear, "It's not that nice of a place. I mean... Yeah... What do you want for breakfast? Chopped fruit, Pancakes, Eggs?"

I took and deep breath and replied, "Just fruit is fine I guess."

I can't do this. If he doesn't view this place as nice... Then he'd have a heart attack if he saw where I lived... I knew what I had to do: Hide my life from him. Hide that I was poor and could barely pay for a meal.

~~~

Hope you guys enjoyed! :)

Thanks for reading!