Chapter Seven

The first day of school came too fast for Fallon. Even though she didn’t have the best summer, that didn’t mean she was anxious to go back to school. The only thing she looked forward to was being able to see her old friends and show off her new look. Since she’d come home just a few days before the start of the school year, she didn’t have a chance to see them. That was okay though. Now she could surprise them with her big change. When she called them last night, she made them promise to meet her in the quad before first period. She told them she wanted to compare schedules and see what classes they had together, which she did, but that wasn’t all she wanted.

At least she didn’t have to take the bus to school. Like Lucian used to do, Griffin came to pick her up. As the two of them fought their way through the masses to get to the quad, people kept doing double takes. Fallon didn’t know if it was because they didn’t recognize her or they thought he was Lucian. The minute the girls spotted them, they started shrieking.  

“Fallon, you look so hot,” Daphne cried.      

“Damn, girl, you lost a whole person,” Corina said.  

“You are gonna get so many guys after you,” Ava warned with a smile.     

Griffin grimaced. “I’m outta here,” he said and turned to Fallon. “See you in first period.”           

“See ya,” Fallon said as he stalked off.

“What’s his deal?” Ava asked.          

“Still can’t stand to be around me I guess” Corina said. “Who cares anyway? Fallon’s new look is way more important than Griffin’s crappy attitude.”     

“What’d you have to do to lose so much weight?” Daphne asked.  

“I stopped eating like a pig and started jogging,” Fallon said.          

Corina’s eyebrows shot up. “The girl who hates P.E. took up jogging?”      

“Yep,” Fallon agreed.

Ava glanced down at her watch. “If we’re gonna compare class schedules, we better do it soon. The bell’s about to ring.”

The girls pulled their schedule cards from their binders and backpacks and passed them around. Fallon had each of them in at least one of her classes, but the four of them didn’t have any classes together. They all groaned when the first bell rang. While Corina and Ava headed in a different direction, Daphne and Fallon started toward the north hall.

“Excuse me, but can you help me out?”        

Both girls turned at the sound of the male voice behind them.         

Daphne broke into a wide smile. “Just name it,” she said, and Fallon laughed at how obvious she was.    

Of course, her drool was well deserved. The guy was cute. Tall, light brown hair, green eyes, huge biceps, and when he smiled it revealed a row of perfectly placed teeth.      

“Could you tell me where the north hall is?”             

“We’re heading that way,” Daphne informed him. “You can walk with us.”          

“Thanks. I’ve got my math class there in like two minutes.”

“So you’re new here?”

“Yeah, I’m from Oregon. I just moved here with my aunt.”

“Wow, that’s really far. How come you live with your aunt and not your parents?”

He shrugged. “They’ve been out of the picture for a while.”