Chapter Thirteen

Before Lucian even picked her up for school on Monday morning, Fallon was thinking about Ted and wondering what he’d do. Would he tell the whole school who her dad was, or would he keep quiet about that? Did he break up with Corina to be rid of Lucian and Griffin or because he felt guilty for still being interested in Fallon? Was he even really interested in her or was that a cover to hide the fact that he wanted to hurt her like Christian thought? When she heard the sound of Lucian’s horn to announce his arrival, she pushed her thoughts of Ted aside.           

Lucian smiled as she came toward him. “How about if you let me worry about Teddy and you worry about being hot?”  

“Reading my mind again?”    

“Again,” he said and then leaned in to kiss her. “And always.”       

Fallon giggled when he closed the door behind her. She loved that he opened doors for her and told her she was hot and looked out for her. She even loved the way he read her mind and anticipated her fears.        

“There’s something you should know,” he said as he slid in behind the wheel. “Corina tried to kill herself last night.”

“What?” Fallon gasped.         

“I guess her mom found her this morning when she went to wake her up for school.”        

“What’d she do?”           

“Swallowed a bunch of pills.”           

“That’s terrible.”        

“What? That she failed?”       

“I know you’re evil, but that’s mean even for you.” 

“I know you were friends and all, but I never did trust her after everything she did last year.”      

“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean you should be happy she tried to kill herself.”          

“I’m not,” he said and gave her a sideways grin. “I’m unhappy that she failed.”    

“You know what I mean.”     

“Yeah, but suicide is for cowards. It’s not like her life’s that bad anyway. There are people who have it way worse that live with it every day.”     

Even though he was right, she couldn’t see blaming Corina. They’d gotten off to a rough start last year, but they’d gotten over it and become friends. Fallon thought back to their conversation yesterday and wondered if she’d missed some sign this was coming. Corina seemed a little bummed, but she’d just been dumped. It wasn’t like it was the first time she’d been dumped, but she’d gotten over it before.    

“Does Ted know?”    

“If he doesn’t by now, I’m sure he’ll know soon enough. You know how fast stuff like that spreads around school.”          

“Wonder if his aunt will write a nice article about how her nephew’s girlfriend tried to kill herself because she realized what a pig he was?”       

Lucian laughed as he pulled into the school parking lot. She didn’t mean to make light of the situation, but she couldn’t imagine wanting to kill herself over a guy like Ted. So what if he was kind of cute? Who cared if he said he loved her? The guy was a jerk.          

They got out of the car and started toward their first period class. They didn’t even get halfway there before Daphne and Ava rushed toward them. From the pinched looks on their faces, Fallon knew they’d gotten the same news she had.