Chapter Six

“It’s amazing what a difference a summer can make,” Ellen marveled.       

Fallon couldn’t agree more. Last summer, she wouldn’t have even looked at a pair of short shorts let alone bought several pairs. Even if they had come in plus size, she wouldn’t have been caught dead letting anyone seeing her milky white thunder thighs. Thanks to some help from Ellen, she’d gone from a size fourteen to a size eight. It hadn’t been easy to eat right and go jogging with Ellen every day, but her new look made it all worth it. For the first time in her life, she liked what she saw when she looked in the mirror. Fallon hardly recognized the thin, tan blonde looking back at her.    

“You think I should get these?” Fallon asked as she turned in slow circles in front of her. 

“They look great, but I still can’t believe you’ll be able to wear them to school.”    

“You’re right. I guess I should get a few more things I can wear to school.”          

Fallon’s disappearance into the fitting room was brief. Once she had the new shorts off and her old shorts on, she returned to the racks in search of something she could get away with wearing to school. It didn’t seem fair how fast the summer had gone or that school would be starting in just a few days time. Even more unfair was the fact that there still hadn’t been any news on Lucian. Her mom had been keeping her informed. Besides calling her every day, Gwen made regular visits when she got a few days off. Whenever she came, she always brought the newspaper articles she’d been saving. They were the articles Lara Reese had been writing. A new one came out every few weeks, but they didn’t seem to be doing any good. Nobody knew where Lucian was, and only a few people seemed to care.           

“I’ve already looked at all this junk,” Fallon said. “Can we go to a different store?”          

“Sure we can.”             

“I still need some shoes. Do you mind if we go to the shoe store?”             

Ellen broke into a wide smile. “Are you kidding? What woman doesn’t like the shoe store?”        

Fallon laughed along with her as they headed for Foot Locker. Like the mall, the shoe store was packed with kids trying to get the best back to school kicks. While Ellen found a small space on an open bench, Fallon squeezed her way into the pack congregated around the shoe wall. She picked up a pair of Nikes and turned them over in her hand.  

Wonder if they have these in my size? Fallon thought.           

As if he could read her mind, one of the sales guys lurking in the background rushed to her side. “What size do you…” he said and then stopped and stared hard at her. “Fallon? Wow, you look amazing!”   

Fallon frowned to find she was standing face to face with Julian Robledo. Last year, at the request of Christian Church, Julian repeatedly asked her out. The idea was to come between her and Lucian and break them up so Christian could swoop down and save the day and her soul. In the end, it didn’t work, and she and Lucian made it clear to Julian what would happen if he didn’t back off. After the fear she’d seen in his eyes last year, she never expected to have to deal with him again.      

“I’d like these in a size seven,” Fallon said and shoved the shoe at his chest.          

Julian grinned at her. “Aren’t you going to thank me?”                    

“What for? You haven’t even brought me the shoes yet.”                            

“Yeah, but I just said you look amazing.”