Chapter Seventeen

Fallon was actually glad to be back at school on Monday morning. As much as school bored her, it was still better than hanging out at home where she was in a perpetual bad mood. Of course, in another three weeks she’d be trapped there for almost a month for the stupid winter break. At least she had the snow trip with Lucian to look forward to. Not even the thought of spending the whole weekend with Katie could ruin that trip for her.

And speaking of Miss Perfect, Fallon thought when she spotted Katie and Griffin heading their way. “Please tell me you took care of Katie’s parents.” 

Lucian grinned. “All handled thanks to my superior black magic skills.”

“And exactly how did you handle it?”

Before Lucian could answer, Katie and Griffin were in front of them.

“Hey, Fallon,” Katie said with a huge smile. “Thanks so much for getting your mom to talk to my mom. It was really nice.”

Fallon glanced over at Lucian. “No problem.” 

“It totally worked. My mom actually seems happy about me going on this trip if you can believe that.”

“That’s great.”

“Anyway, I better go so I’m not late to class. I’ll see you later, Fallon.”

“Later.”

While Griffin and Katie continued toward her first period class, Lucian smirked after them. “She didn’t say goodbye to me.” 

“Maybe she doesn’t like you.” 

“And I haven’t even done anything to her yet.” 

This time last year if he’d said something like that, Fallon would’ve told him to leave his brother’s girlfriend alone. For Katie, she was willing to make an exception to that rule. Something about that girl rubbed her the wrong way, and it wasn’t just the religious thing. Nobody was that perky and happy all the time.

Nobody normal anyway, Fallon thought.

She and Lucian stopped for a kiss before they entered their first period class. Just before the second bell rang, Griffin strolled into the room. As Fallon watched him coming toward her, she wondered how and why he could be so interested in Katie. It couldn’t be for sex. If the girl was as religious as she said she was, there was no way she was putting out for him. Even if she was going against her beliefs and giving it to him, she couldn’t believe Griffin would put up with her annoying habits. Listening to that voice for more than a minute grated on Fallon’s nerves.

“What’s up?” Griffin asked as he dropped down beside her.

“Isn’t it just so neat that Katie’s parents said she could come on the trip with us?” Fallon did her best imitation of Katie’s hurried way of speaking. “I’ll bet you’re like totally excited.”

“Sounds like you’re jealous,” he teased, and Fallon snorted. “I mean it. Does Loosh know about your crush on me?”

“Does he know about your crush on me?” 

Griffin leaned across the aisle. “You know he does,” he said and then winked at her before he pulled back.

Fallon cut her eyes to where Lucian sat. Though he was watching them, and probably listening to them, there wasn’t any anger in his black eyes. Despite the intensity of his gaze, she wasn’t afraid of him.

That’s good, Lucian said inside her head. You shouldn’t be afraid of me or your destiny.

My destiny?