Chapter 20- Heavy Thoughts, Light Breeze

Chapter 20

I sat on the curb staring out onto the road. The crisp, cool breeze caused my long hair to float around my head as I watched the cars race by me.

I huffed. What was wrong with me? I saw Steve and I froze like a deer in headlights. And then I ran. Well, more like I walked briskly until I got outside. Then it turned into a dead sprint.

How had Steve found me? Was he following me?

"I traced your phone." Think of the devil and he shall appear.

I didn't bother to turn around to look at Steve before speaking, "And why would you do that?"

I heard a sigh, "Look at me, Adara."

My head whipped around in shock and I stood up quickly as he used my real name. He knew better than to say something like that in public.

"I see you're fighting again." Steve continued, gesturing to my bruised knuckles while completely ignoring my bewildered gaze.

My eyes cast downwards to stare at my knuckles. "Yes, but I haven't killed anyone..." I paused before meeting his eyes, "yet."

I met Steve's gaze with nothing but steel and ice making the threat clear to its receiver.

Steve scoffed, "You and I both know you won't kill me, Adara."

Again? "Stop saying that." I gritted out. "You told me that she didn't exist anymore. For my own safety. Do you know how hard that goodbye was? You have no right to show up out of the blue and call me by the name you destroyed."

Steve grimaced, "I see I've hit a nerve."

This time, it was my turn to scoff, "You always find a way to."

Sadness filled Steve's eyes as he gazed at me, "Adara..."

"Stop it!" My shout shocked even myself. I crumpled back onto the floor. "Why won't you stop?"

Steve kneeled down next to me and looked into my eyes. This shocked me because he was never one to show how much he actually cared.

"Because it doesn't matter anymore."

Steve's answer had more than shocked me, it scared me.

"Why doesn't it matter anymore?" I whispered.

"Because you're in danger anyway. And so are all your friends."

"What?" My voice was suddenly stuck in my throat. I knew I shouldn't have gotten involved with them.

"The person responsible for- well, this", Steve said while making a vague gesture in the air, "is still alive."

"What?" I repeated. I heard exactly what Steve had said but I didn't want to believe it. "I put two bullets in the monster. He's dead." I continued with more confidence. Right? I mean, he has to be.

He has to be.

My feet dragged along the ground as I was dragged from my cell and down the hallway. I hadn't realized that it was, again, my turn to go into the chamber. My head lolled from side to side and I struggled to keep my eyes open. Even when they were open, the vision was unfocused. I blamed it on the lack of sleep.

I felt myself still being dragged roughly 10 minutes later. My heart began to pump faster as I was brought up stairs. Stairs? There were no stairs to get to the chamber.

Where were they taking me?

Maybe they're going to free us once and for all, the voice inside my head whispered. I tried to forget the thought but it seemed to bounce around my head continuously. Optimism wasn't something people like me had the luxury of.