Chapter 16- Rejected Idea, Accepted Kiss

Chapter 16

I stood there, using the wall for support, looking at the phone that lay in my hand. I don't know how long I stood there but time seemed to slow down as I continued to stare at the phone. Why was Steve calling? What else could he possible want from me? I have nothing left to give.

Oh, Steve. In the process of doing his job, so many aspects of my life were ruined.

Today was the day. The day I had to breakup with Blake. Steve had told me that this would give him emotional closure before my 'death'. I thought it was a load of crap but listening to Steve was literally my job now.

I was sitting under a huge willow tree- Blake and I's tree. Well, not officially. It's not like we had been the ones to plant it or anything. But we did claim this spot everyday after school and at lunches to spend time with just each other. Hence why I was waiting here until Blake met up with me after his final class.

"Ugh." I heard someone groan as they plopped down next to me.

I smiled knowing it was Blake before quickly wiping it off as I remembered what I was supposed to be doing here.

"Do you ever just want to leave and start new? I'm just so sick and tired of everything that's going on here." Blake said exaggerated.

I frowned. This was not the side of Blake I was used to seeing. "What are you talking about Blake?"

"I just want to leave. Travel more. I mean, who says a little adventure wouldn't be fun?"

I looked at Blake, still not fully comprehending the situation. "Excuse me?"

"I'm just feeling the need for a change." Blake said while his eyes told a different story; a story with many more secrets. "Let's go."

"What?" I asked hesitantly. Where the hell was he going with this?

"Run with me. We could be anywhere we want this time tomorrow. We could get new starts, be new people."

"Blake..."

"We could run around the globe together, Adara. Just picture it."

I took a deep breath while staring into Blake's green eyes. The worst part of this situation was that I could picture it. I could picture the future me and Blake could have and I knew that image would haunt me for the rest of my life. He would get to know me too well, and there are aspects of my life that he just can't know. Aspects that would make him want to run away from me rather than away with me.

And that scared me.

"Blake. I can't." I said while casting my gaze downwards.

"Why not?" He asked quietly.

I looked back up to meet his gaze. "We're only 16, Blake! It wouldn't work." And just like that, I watched all the light drain from Blake's eyes.

"We would make it work." Blake said dejectedly, knowing he was fighting an already lost battle.

I shook my head, "I'm sorry, Blake. I really-"

"No. It's fine. Really." His tone was hurt and clipped. "I've gotta go. I'm working an early shift today."

"Alright. See you tomorrow." I said but it was too late as he was already halfway across the parking lot.

So, maybe today wasn't the day to breakup with him. I shifted as I felt a queasy feeling settle in my belly.

I've really messed up, haven't I?