Chapter 10- Cool Cars, Flaming Knuckles

Chapter 10

My ears were met with nothing but the clinking of plates. The air in the room had changed drastically since early in the day- from light and cheerful to dark and forbidden. I sat at the table eating an apple.

"Why aren't you eating any, Dannie?" Carina's voice broke the silence.

As if her question was the cue, the boys came to life in an animated way as if they were looking for any reason to speak.

"Ya, why aren't you eating?" Mark echoed Carina's question with his taco halfway to his mouth.

I pulled my eyebrows together. "I don't like tacos."

My statement was greeted by silence.

"How do you not like tacos?" Mark exclaimed loudly still trying to create conversation.

I shrugged and said nothing.

Mark on the other hand, seemed to be on the urge of a mental breakdown. "Do you have a psychological problem? Tacos! They're great!"

"I don't have a problem. I just don't like them." I said.

I have had enough people in my life tell me that I do. I'm sane.

I think.

Charlie jumped in before Mark said anything else that was stupid. "These are great though! How did you learn how to make them?"

"Secret family recipe." I said smiling at the memory.

Charlie smiled. "Grandmother?"

"Something like that."

That was a lie.

No. Not a lie. Just not the complete truth. I learned from Danny. And Danny had learned from his grandmother.

Same thing really.

I remember dumping an entire bag of flour on his head while he explained seasoning only to have him retaliate with pouring water on me. Him and his water pranks.

The table fell silent again before it was interrupted again. This time, it was from the person I least expected it from.

Blake.

He spoke quietly. "I like tacos. We have to get you to try some one day. Trust me, you'll love them."

Trust me.

Those words. Oh Blake, how I wish I could.

Instead I said, "Maybe one day."

"What are you guys doing in New York?" I heard Carina ask.

Charlie was the one to answer. "We're touring the States. We've already hit the East Coast so we're heading west next. We are mostly hopping trains. It's too long to drive."

I tuned out of their conversation and thought back to my last comment. I didn't mean it at all. I mentally cringed as realized how much I've been lying to the person I love. I keep justifying it with the fact that it's for his own good.

But is it really?

Why can't he know? Why do I find it so hard to let people in? There's an excellent answer. One that answers both of those questions. Unfortunately, that's recalling a memory that I never wish to revisit. Ever.

Yet again, we were engulfed with silence. If I ever had to put this dinner down in my books, it would definitely be ranked as the most awkward one.

I looked around the table and was met with four people who were desperately trying to keep their gazes on their plates. Suddenly Carina's head popped up and she gave me an evil grin.