Chapter 7- Crazy Idea, Mellow Responses

Chapter 7

It was only 23:00 and everybody was already drunk except for me. Even Carina was stumbling through the crowds of people. I never understood what was so pleasing about losing the ability to make good decisions. I'm not not saying I'm an expert decision maker- as history proves- but tonight, I seem to have made a good one.

The club was too crowded, the music was too loud and the people were too drunk. I noted all the fire escaped and venting systems.

You could never be too secure.

Danny said that to me before our last mission together. Before we were caught and held captive for months. I believe it was six months but I can't be sure. I've blocked out many memories from that dark time.

Carina and I had been here for over an hour and there have been countless amounts of guys asking us to dance. She accepted occasionally while I didn't at all. I had been in love once. A long time ago when I thought that it was possible for me to love while continuing my line of work. I was so wrong. I loved a boy and I still love that boy. But he thought I was dead. He's probably moved on by now. Got a new girlfriend, studying law like he always wanted to do. The thought made my heart ping but it's my fault. I chose to leave him. I chose to not be a part of his life. I chose to join squad 52.

"Adara..." Carina's voice slurred over the music. "I'm going to go dance with this fine gentleman." She pulled a man out from behind her. She was clearly drunk- if she wasn't, she would know to call me Dannie. Luckily, so was the guy. He couldn't see my face due to the bad lighting so my secret was still safe- for now.

"Have fun." I responded to her already retreating back.

I went to sit down at the bar.

"Can I get you anything to drink, beautiful?" Asked the bartender.

"Bottled water." I responded. He smirked but gave me what I asked for.

After I made sure that the seal wasn't broken, I took a sip. I looked around the room trying to find Carina. At this point it was almost midnight and I needed to make sure she got home safely.

I spotted her in the middle of the dance floor with the 'gentleman'. I walked over a pulled her away.

"What- What are you doing?" She slurred.

"It's late and you're drunk. We are leaving now." I sternly told her.

She pouted. "But a made new friends. They're sitting over there. Want to meet them?"

Without waiting to hear my response, she pulled me over to a table that contained three guys. One of the guys, I recognized, was the guy who was a 'gentleman'.

She sat down and forced me down with her. I looked around at the guys but still couldn't make out any facial features thanks to bad lighting.

"Hey guys!" Carina chirped at them.

I didn't pay attention as they mumbled their responses. The guy sitting on the edge of the booth seemed awfully familiar. All I could make out in the dark was his black hair and piercing green eyes.

"Do we have a straight edge here?" slurred the 'gentleman'.

I knew he was referring to me. "Yes we do." I responded bluntly and not even slightly embarrassed.

He seemed shocked at my boldness but quickly hid it. "You should talk to Charlie here." He said pointing to the guy on his right. "He is too."

"Good for you." I said to Charlie. I couldn't keep my eyes off the guy on 'gentleman's' left. Who was he? Why did he seem so familiar? I squinted at him again to no avail. It was too dark still.