Chapter 5- Hidden Memories, Revealed Past

Chapter 5

For the first time in months, I dreamt.

I was standing in the middle of the kitchen. Not just any kitchen though; the kitchen in my parents' house. It was late, judging by the dark, stormy skies outside but I didn't notice the lightning. I was too busy staring at the six year old version of me who was sitting at the kitchen table. There was a silly smile on little me's face as she played with her dolls.

Those dolls. The last time I had seen those were-

Three knocks came from the front door, interrupting my train of thought. My aunt rushed to get it.

She answered it, "Hello officers, is there a problem?"

This wasn't just any night. It was the night. These officers weren't here to bring good. These were the men who delivered the message that changed my life forever. It was as if I were only part of an audience watching a movie. I couldn't speak or move.

A deep voice began to speak, "No ma'am. There's- there's been an accident..."

My ears buzzed out. I couldn't hear as I watched my aunt fall to the ground with tears streaming down her face. Little me ran over to my aunt to see what was wrong. I didn't understand then, but I do now. My parents were killed by a drunk driver who drove them off the road. I was too young, I thought they would come back. I waited for them. Every birthday I would save my mommy and daddy a piece of cake. Every Christmas, I hung up their stockings. I realized the truth when I was 10 years old. They weren't coming back. They never would.

I was taken in by my aunt and uncle. My aunt was visiting for a week. So I moved back to Hawaii with her, leaving my home in California. It was easy to adapt seeing as I was so young and the environments were more or less the same.

I looked over the scene in front of me. My sobbing aunt being hugged by my six year old self and two sorrowful looking officers. As I watched, the scene faded into another one; a happier one.

I was now looking at a sign that held the name 'Maui Public High School'. This was the high school I went to.

I was unable to control my actions as my feet carried me on the familiar path to a classroom. I tried to drag my feet or at least walk in the opposite direction but I couldn't. I had lost all control over my actions. I sat down at a desk in the front of the room. The girl next to me took out a makeup up container and I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I was a 16 year old version of myself. That wasn't the only thing I noticed though. I noticed the life in my face and in my eyes. I smiled and in the mirror, it was real. For a moment, I forgot everything. I was happy.

"What are you looked at?" Asked a girl named Catherine from my right.

I rolled my eyes before responding, "Shut up, Catherine."

"Or what?" She scoffed.

"Or I will literally stick your foot in your mouth." I threatened. I forgot how great emotions felt.

"You mean figuratively, right?" Catherine responded being the smart ass she is.

"Nope. I meant literally." I responded dead serious.

Catherine seemed to notice my seriousness because she paled slightly and stopped talking to me. She turned around and began to annoy the people who sat behind us.

"Adara, is your homework done?" Asked a familiar voice from the front of the room.

I looked up to see Mr. Hale, my old English teacher. I smiled at the normalcy of the situation. Persistent teachers and annoying bitches. No psychopaths were chasing me today. I'll admit, it felt good.