chapter 12

Chapter 12

“Come on Schuyler you can do it” I heard Andrew yell from across the gym and I turned and gave him a weak smile. I stepped forward getting closer to the rope, I gulped since I was afraid of heights and that rope was high up in the air.

“Come on Blue I don’t have all day” coach yelled at me making me flinch at his closeness, it was required for newbie’s to take the physical ed test and so far I almost died twice all the exercises were very tiring and really extreme. 

‘you can do this’ I chanted over and over in my head, I took a deep breath and grabbed onto the rope I closed my eyes and pretended the world was going to end if I didn’t make it up there to touch the stupid red button. I used all my strength to pull myself up and I continued to climb and climb I didn’t dare look down since I would get scared and I don’t want to embarrass myself in front of the whole gym. I kept on climbing and finally reached the top, and I pressed the button making the gym cheer and yell. 

‘great now how the hell am I going to get down’ I thought to myself and before I knew it I looked down and immediately I clinged onto the rope as if my  life depended on it. I closed my eyes and my air didn’t fully reach my lungs. I heard people saying things but I tried focusing onto something else then the height. 

“Schuyler come down now” I heard coach yell and I shook my head violently making the rope move in the process making me freak out and grab onto It again only for me to fall a couple of inches, I gasped and caught onto the rope just in time for me not to fall down and hurt myself. 

“Schuyler I’ll catch you” I heard a boy say making me smile but it complety fell when I noticed Chris in the crowd and he looked amused, I felt like dying in a whole since this was embarrassing. I braced myself for my stupidity and without warning I felt my arms start letting go of the rope slowly making my body go slowly down the rope. After what felt like eternity I finally felt my feet touch the ground and before I knew it my feet couldn’t hold my weight and I was on the floor. Everything started spinning really fast.

The coach rushed to my aid and so did Andrew I felt myself being lifted up by the waist and I turned and much to my disappoint it wasn’t Chris. 

“Schuyler are you okay?” the coach asked me making me give him a face, do I look okay?!

“Yeah just scared of heights that’s all” I simply said trying to get away from the crowd that formed around us. 

He started laughing and a few other people did too making my face heat up and cover it with my hair. I mean I knew it was a stupid phobia but seriously did they have to be immature? After a couple of long seconds a voice made everyone shut up

“I bet everyone is scared of something too so stop laughing and leave her alone” a deep demanding voice yelled

Everyone stood still and I smile and turned to see my hero but it faded when I saw it was Chris. I got up not caring how light headed I felt and made my way towards the exit, I stopped when I felt a hand on my shoulder. 

“Sky its okay to be afraid of heights, you should have told me I would have talked to the coach” Andrew said 

“thanks I’ll see you around” I said not bothering to look at him, I cant believe this happened to me I walked angrily towards the locker and changed out of the gym uniform, I didn’t feel like wearing the skirt and the shirt so I grabbed some sweats and a hoodie and grabbed my sports bag and headed towards my car.

I got in and took a deep breath I looked at my hands and saw that they were red and a spot was peeling making me question just how hard did I hold onto the rope?