Chapter 17

"Mommy, is daddy not home yet" Sabina queried. She's in pajama and all set to bed.  

"Maybe, he's working late again. Daddy is a little busy this days."

"Can I wait for him? I'm kinda missing him."

She toys her teddy bear and hug it. I knew she's feels it for real. It's been a month since Matthew and I got married, since then he gets drunk and come home very late when everybody were asleep. Actually, I am awake when he arrives but just pretended to be asleep.

Tonight, I decided to wait for him. I had to talk things out with him. Sabina already noticed that he isn't around this past few days. It's good that she didn't see him drunk. All the more that my daughter would be upset.

It was past midnight when he came home.

"Matt, aren't you drinking too much?. Please take care of yourself."

Matt sarcastically smiled. He walked past me and dropped himself to bed. Then he got back to me. "Are you trying to exercise your role as a dutiful wife on me now, Maddie?" He chuckled. " Well, no thanks. Haven't you forgetting something? Let me remind you, this is only a set-up? So, cut that crap!", He hissed.

Each word crushed every inch of me. He's speaking the truth, and the truth hurts. Though contradictory to his thought of me being a dutiful wife, all I'm most worried is his health. Always drunk every night and it isn't good for him. 

"Just wanna make it clear. You perfectly know why I was such an idiot to offer marriage to you. Hik..", he almost fell but got a grip on the closet. He was too drunk to stand still.

"Can you just be happy that you got what you wanted? Don't act as if this marriage would work. You cannot have both worlds Maddie. Just live happily with your daughter but don't expect me to be a good husband to you."

"I just wanna tell you Sabina was asking for you. " Though it may be half truth, I wanted him to be the person who he is before the marriage.

Hearing Sabina's name, he stopped a little. He brushed his hair with his fingers. Her daughter has great effect on him.

"I told her you were a little busy, that's why you always come home late. She begged to wait for you but I insisted that she has to sleep."

Now he's listening. Silence filled the room. We sat end to end in bed. He stood and grabbed his keys.

"Wait,....where are you going?" I panicked. It's late and he's drunk. In his condition, he might be in danger.

"I'd go to hell!"

 He shut the door behind me. Later, I heard his car screeched until all I'm hearing are my own sobs. Had just the idea of the arranged marriage sunk into him?  He might have realized it really wrong that we got married. But unfortunately for him, it's all done. 

"I sorry, Matt. This is really a burden on you. So, sorry..."

I slept with my tears dried on my face.  

==============================================================================

What's happening to Matthew? Is he not the one who proposed the marriage to Maddie? What do you think dear readers?

Please post your comments and don't forget to click those VOTE and FOLLOW buttons. It means so much to me. Thanks!