Chapter 2: If That's What You Want, Then....

Leila rode the bus home. Only some of Mason’s friends remembered the incident in gym class. A girl who had shiny red hair and bright blue eyes sat next to her.

“My name is Abigail. You are?” She held out her hand.

“I’m Leila.” She responded shyly as they shook hands.

“Nice to meet you. Oh! You’re so brave for doing that to that boy. He looks really mean!” Leila stared at her, wondering what she was talking about. Memories of her standing up to Mason made their way back to her mind.

“Thanks.”  That was the last words exchanged between them. Leila was the first to get out.

Leila reached the familiar light peach house with white windows. She opened the door and threw her bag down the couch.

“Mom?” She called out but received no reply.

“But mom! Please, I really want to do this!” Louis begged. Leila followed his voice into the kitchen. She peeked in to see his mom and Louis in a deep conversation.

“I can’t allow you to join again, sweetheart. It’s for your own good.” Her mother replied as she touched his cheek soothingly.

“Mom, please! I really want to play football!” Louis pleaded, his voice cracking a little.

“I’m really sorry. I just want you to be safe. You’ve heard what the doctor said. I just don’t want to risk it. Please forgive me, dear. It breaks my heart to see you like this.” A stray tear fell from her eye.

“Never mind then! Fine, I won’t play! Are you happy now mom?” Louis snapped as he walked out of the kitchen. He stopped right in front of Leila and glared. Then he stalked off as his mother sobbed helplessly.

“Hey mom. Please don’t cry.” Leila wiped some of her mother’s tears away.

“I’m okay baby. I’m just sad that I couldn’t give your brother what he wanted. I just want him to be safe.” She sniffed.

“I’ll try to talk to him if you want.” Leila’s heart broke at the sight of her mother. She loved her way too much.

“Thank you, baby.” Her mother smiled as she kissed her forehead. “You are becoming more and more mature. My baby girl is growing up.”  She hugged her tightly.

“I love you, mom.” Leila whispered.

“I love you too, Leila. My one and only girl.” Her mother pulled out of the hug. “You’re not excused from doing your homework, okay?” She chuckled.

“Okay mom.” Leila rolled her eyes and made her way up the stairs. She passed her room and hesitantly knocked on Louis’s door.

“Go away!” He yelled. Leila reached for the doorknob and stepped in.

“Hey, that wasn’t very nice. Mom just wants you to be safe.” She said soothingly.

“I don’t care! I played football last summer and I’m still fine!” he protested.

“Louis, it’s not the end of the world. You can play next year or maybe the-“

“Don’t you get it? Playing football will automatically win me popularity. My friends will dump me once they find out my mom isn’t allowing me to play, because she wants me to be safe.”  Louis crossed his arms over his chest.

“Come on, Louis. You know she loves you. And if they’re really your friends, they’d stay with you for you. Not whether you play football or not.” Leila pleaded.

“You don’t know anything, Leila. You’re used to being lonely, but I’m not.” He snapped. “Besides, why do you care so much?”

“Because you’re my brother!” Her voice cracked a little.

“Well you don’t need to care anymore. From now on, I’m not your brother!”  His face held no emotion.

“Fine! From now on, you’re dead to me Louis. I actually thought that you’d keep your promise of always protecting me. I was so wrong!” Tears fell from her eyes as she stomped out of the room. She reached for the door and slammed it. With tears running down her cheeks uncontrollably, she ran into her room.

Once she finally recovered, she reached for her old and empty princess bag. She stuffed everything that reminded her of Louis into the bag. The old photos, the scrap books, the toys, and all the other gifts that he gave her. She huffed as she carried the bag into the back of her closet.

Though Louis said he didn’t want to be her brother anymore, Leila still loved him. He would always be her brother no matter what. However, Leila still respected his decision.

If that’s what he wants, then that’s what he’ll get.

--------------------------END OF CHAPTER 2-----------------------------

VOTE.

COMMENT. 

FAN?

<3