Chapter 4: Thanks For Your Support

Leila threw her bag on the couch and shouted, “I’m home!”

“Hello sweetie, how was school?” Her mother greeted her. Her voice sounded strained and there were dried tear marks on her cheeks.

“It’s okay. Mom, are you okay?” Leila asked, worriedly.

“Yes dear. I’m fine.”

“A boy asked me to go on a date with him today…” Leila trailed nervously. She never talked about boys before.

“Oh honey! That’s great! Want me to help you get ready?” Her mother grinned.

“Oh no. Abigail is coming, she’s helping me. Thanks though.” Leila smiled as she made her way up stairs.

Abigail came about twenty minutes later with a makeup kit in her hand. “No! I am not putting those on!” Leila protested.

“Oh come on, Leila! Please?” She begged.

“Lip gloss and that’s it.” Leila said with authority.

“Fine. If that’s what you want.” Abigail huffed. “There!”

Leila stood in front of the mirror with her mouth wide opened. Her ruffled top matched with her black tight jeans. Her lips and eyes popped. She hugged Abigail tightly. “Thank you!” She said with excitement.

“I was scared that flies might’ve gotten into your mouth. I told you, you’ve always been beautiful.” Abigail grinned. “I’ve got to go. My dad starts his second job soon and I have to babysit my little brother again. Tell me all about it tomorrow, okay?” Abigail packed up her things and headed for the door.

“Okay then. See you tomorrow and thanks again.” With one final hug, Abigail made her way home.

Leila walked into the living room and plopped down on the couch.

“What’s that for?” Louis asked, not taking his eyes off the television.

“It’s for my date later on.” Leila replied without glancing his way.

“With who?” Leila was confused. She thought that Louis didn’t want anything to do with her anymore.

“With Kyle Preston. He filled my locker with roses and chocolates and also wrote me this poem.” At that, Louis scoffed.

“He’s not interested in you. You’re not his type. This is all just a prank.” Louis said in one breath.

“Why do you care so much now? I thought you didn’t want to be my brother anymore? Is it your life’s mission to make me miserable?” Leila snapped.

“Fine! Don’t listen to me! Go to that stupid date. Just don’t come crying back to me when it all ends badly. I know those people, especially him. He likes to play around. Who knows? You may be that loser he was talking about.” Louis snapped back.

“Whatever. Just mind your own business, Louis.” Tears welled up in her eyes. She looked at him and noticed how pale he was. There were marks on her arms. Bruises, perhaps? “What happened to-” She tried to reach out to him, but he pulled back.

“You should try minding your own business too, Leila.” He glared at the TV.

“Did you do those to yourself?”

“No! Why would I? It was just an accident, okay? Just go on that stupid date of yours. I am always right, Leila. Just watch, I’ll be waiting here to rub it in your face.” He turned the television off and walked away.

Leila made her way to the door. Crying was not an option. She blinked away the tears as she reached for the doorknob.

 “Honey! Wait up! You forgot these.” Her mother held out her favorite Nike shoes.

“But I’m already wearing my flats.” She smiled.

“Since you don’t want me to drive you there, I thought these would be more comfortable for you. It’d go great with your outfit too. Gosh, you are so beautiful.” Her mom gushed out as she took the shoes. She put them on and was immediately caught into a bear hug. “I love you so much, sweetie.”

“I love you too, mom.” With that, she made her way into the Preston Park. It was a couple blocks away from her house.

On her way to the park, she couldn’t stop thinking about Louis. He had been so cold to her. She thought that he’d actually support her on this. Deep in her heart, she still loved Louis. He would always be her brother.

More questions popped up in her head, but there were no answers to them. The bruises that were on his arms, where were they from? Why were there dried tear marks on her mother’s face? Why was she crying? Her father has always been away. He has never worked so hard for money his whole entire life. Were they hiding something from her?

Nonetheless, the harsh words that Louis threw at her made their way back into her mind.

“Thanks for your support.” She voiced her thoughts. 

---------------------------------END OF CHAPTER 4---------------------------------------

VOTE.

COMMENT.

FAN?