Chapter 16: Very Familiar Stranger

Present Time

Leila can back to her room and sat down on her bed. She stared blankly at her television before turning it on. She surfed through the channels and landed on a very familiar show. Slowly, everything started coming back to her………

***

The last week before freshman year ended, Louis has softened up to Leila. They would talk just about anything. They actually tried rekindling their lost flame. They had movie nights every Saturday and sundae mornings every Sundays. Leila was very happy.

Leila plopped down on the couch, tired of school. She was only one day away from finishing her ninth grade year. She surfed through channels and stopped at one of her favorite television stations.

“I thought this show ended years ago!” Louis exclaimed, making her fall off the couch.

“Louis! What the heck!? You scared me,” she hissed as stood up. She crossed her arms over her chest and tapped her foot impatiently. “Well?”

“Well what?” He sat down on the floor and looked up at her.

“Aren’t you going to apologize?” She huffed as she sat back down on the couch.

“Sorry sis, I didn’t mean to scare you. I was just saying how I thought this show ended years ago,” he looked into her eyes and then back at the television.

“It’s okay. They’re showing a new episode!” She smiled widely.

“Girls and their drama shows,” Louis mumbled.

Leila paid more attention to the show.

Lucas sat beside his unconscious wife- Peyton. Her delivery didn’t go well; it left her in a coma for days. He took her fragile hands in his and said,

You know, I'm in a little...I'm in a little over my head here. I took her home and I'm doing what I can, but she needs her Mom. I need her Mom. She doesn't even have a name. We were supposed to do that together. I can't do this without you. And I'm just afraid that I'm gonna lose you and it's just gonna be the two of us. And she doesn't even have a name.’

Leila felt the tears fall from her eyes. These shows got to her. She had always felt like she was a part of the show.

‘Sawyer. Okay? Sawyer's her name.’ Lucas looked up to see that his wife has finally awoken from her slumber.

Leila smiled brightly as she saw Peyton finally wake up.

“So unbelievable!” Louis got up and turned the television off.

“I was watching that!” Leila protested as she reached for the remote.

“These shows sugar coat way too many situations. Most people don’t ever wake up from coma. They die. Life’s unfair. We are all just a pawn in God’s sick game called life!” Louis shouted with so much fury in his voice, it made Leila stumble back.

“Louis, please calm down. Don’t question God… Please,” Leila begged as she saw his shoulders relax. He sat back down and looked into her eyes.

“Can you promise me something, Leila?” He looked at her pleadingly.

“I… It depends.” She didn’t want to make promises she can’t keep.

“Please, promise me. Please,” He continually begged. She looked over at him and saw him using the puppy dog eyes. She sighed in defeat and nodded. He smiled and continued, “Promise me that you’d let me go.”

“Let you go to where, Louis?” Leila titled her head slightly, not really getting her brother’s point.

“Let me go. If we were in their position… I want you to let me go,” He looked intensely into her eyes.

“I don’t know, Louis… I don’t want to lose you,” Leila felt a lump in her throat. She gulped loudly, not wanting to cry.

“Please, Leila. I’m begging you!” Louis looked at her with unshed tears in his eyes.

She sighed and finally gave in. “Fine. I promise. But you have to promise to give me some kind of sign when to do it.”

“What? How came a sleeping person do that?” Louis laughed lightly.

“I don’t know. You’re Louis; you’ll find a way,” Leila winked and turned the television back on.

“Fine, I promise,” Louis crept closer to her and gave her a hug. “Thanks sis. You’re the best.”

“I know,” they both chuckled. As soon as she recovered, she whispered, “You too. You’re the best brother anyone could ever ask for!” She returned his hug and smiled at him.

***

Leila shut the television off, wiping all of her tears away. It wasn’t fair! Life wasn’t fair. Louis has been right all along.

She stood up and decided to phone one of her other friends. They had one big thing in common. He was the perfect person to go to when the issue is about Louis. She reached for her phone and the phone book. She scrolled down, found the number and dialed the number.

“Hello,” the deep voice sounded on the other end of the phone.

“Hey, it’s me.” Leila heard a deep sigh come from the other line.

“Oh hey Leila! It’s been so long,” Leila closed her eyes, trying hard not to let her tears fall.

“Can we meet up somewhere and talk?” She desperately needed his advice.

“Sure, just tell me when and where.”

“The usual place.”

“I’ll be there.”  With that, the phone call ended.

Leila dragged her feet downstairs and made her way down the park.

He stood near the tree. This was the usual place they’d see each other and talk. He hasn’t changed. He still had his black hair and shiny dark brown eyes. On the other hand, he looked taller and more buff. It was like he was a very familiar stranger.

-------------------------------------------------END OF CHAPTER 16--------------------------------

P.S. *** to *** means a flashback

VOTE.

COMMENT.

FAN?

<3