Chapter 13

The lively me faded and I became so quiet. Alex and Janis came over to my house to cheer me up .I also missed lunch with them and the boys for the past week. I just didn't want to talk to anyone. I concentrated more in my studies. And I started reading pride and prejudice by Jane Austin. I have always wanted to read that classic, but never got the time. I spend most of my lunch break in the library taking notes or reading the novel.

Alex tried a few times to talk me out of this weird thing I've come up with,that is ignoring everyone. But I won and I only see them in the classes I share with them. They know what I'm going through so they know best and won't hurt me more.

I open my history notes as I have a presentation in a week, When I hear someone sit on the opposite side.I look up and see a pair of blue eyes looking straight into mine.

"Hey India!" Jake says as he smiles at me.

I haven't talked much to anyone for the past week and I find it difficult to search for words to say.

"Jake! What are you doing here?" I say surprised. I mean library isn't the place for quarterbacks during lunch .

"No hello? " he chuckles lightly. I blush lightly.

"Sorry jake, hello Mr famous quarter back." I tell that last part faking a man voice.

He chortles as he runs his hands through his brown hair.

"It's ok! I was wondering ...umm...the summer ball is coming............Would you like to go with me?" He says after a lot of stuttering and pausing.

I just stare at him blankly, that was so blunt and in the state I am now, I have no idea what to reply back.

"Don't take me wrong, we can go as friends."he corrects himself by seeing my surprised expression.

"Ummm...I don't know Jake.i...I..."
I stutter before he cuts me off.

"I know India, you have been quiet for the past week and ignoring the world around you. I don't want to be intruding but I just thought this might be fun. And Alex and your friends are just worried about you. Alex didn't ask me to do this before you think like that . So will you come?" He says smiling at me hopefully.

I am lost for words so I just nod smiling lightly.

He understands and so he smiles back and waves a good bye as lunch break came to an end.

The first thing I do when I go home is I text Alex.

Hey Alex ! Did you ask Jake to ask me out for the summer ball?

India, chill. I don't know how close you and jake are but FYI the whole school has noticed your weird behavior for the past week. Jake just worriedly asked me about you. I didn't say anything I just told him that you're not well. Ommmmmg! The hottest quarterback asked you for the summer ball. India, green leaf guys are going to kill Jake, I heard rumors that a lot of seniors were fighting to ask the 'British girl' out.

I open her text and see a very big message like an essay. Alex only does this when she's excited or sad. I choose the former because knowing my friend, I know she would have gone wild knowing Jake asked me out for the summer ball. I wonder how she will react if I say that I accepted.

I know you Alex. Sorry I ignored you guys, I just wanted to be alone. I was just confused and upset about the things happening at home. You will freak out when i say this but please don't. I accepted to go to the summer ball with him but just as FRIENDS.

I capitalize the friends knowing Alex will jump all the way to my house and come in a jiffy. I don't know why I accepted Jake but I decided that cribbing over such things is not going to gain me anything and Jake's smile , eyes and his kind gestures just make me happy. I thought he will ask Haley out but I guess he didn't.

Alex picked me up today as she wanted to ask me about the ball. Basically she just wanted to bombard me with questions and tease me so she can see me blush.

Me and Alex head to our lockers. I see Janis, Nathan and George waiting for us. Thankfully they don't make me uncomfortable by enquiring about me being missing for the past week.

"I guess the princess has returned!" Nathan says chuckling.

The first bell goes and Janis,Nathan, George head for their  first period.

Alex is busily texting Blake. They're officially dating but not in a relationship.  As I close my lockers and turn around I see a angry Haley walking towards me. I turn to leave as I grab Alex's hands when I hear my name.

"Stop right there, English princess." She says sarcastically. I really didn't want to talk to her. I mean today is the first day that  I'm normal after a sad week.

I stop and turn around and Alex stops texting as she looks up surprised.

"What do you want Haley?"I say dryly. I know she's probably angry that Jake asked me out and not her. I mean she has boyfriends across California. Why can't she just be happy with that. She's a true slut.

"What I want? I should be asking you that boyfriend stealer." She says angrily.

Alex abruptly starts laughing and me and Haley look at her surprised. Alex clears her throat before she comes to say something.

"Boyfriend ? Haley dear! The whole school knows you and Jake were never in a relationship or dating. Besides what happened to that college guy, guitar player, basketball player, etc etc?" Alex says raising her eyebrows and putting on the best wicked smile she could.

"Jake is mine and so is Blake. Just because you're dating him doesn't mean he's in love with you. He loves me and he will come running to me." She says coldly looking at me and Alex before she walks off in her high heels.

I throw my hands in the air and we run to our first class as we are late. She's a true slut. But I'm sure if Jake was dating her before, both of them being popular, the whole school would have known. Besides he seems nice.  Anyways who cares, we're just going as friends.