The New Kids in Town

Look, I am totally over the whole superhero thing.

Superpowers?

Yawn.

Cool costumes?

Whatever.

Secret Identities?

I'll pass.

Trying to save the city?

A lot harder then it looks.

I'll admit that it was cool for a while: getting to go on patrol with my own personal hero, solving mysteries, and busting bad guys... and then everything flipped upside down.

You see, its all fun and games until you realize your superhero is actually the bad guy.

"Mack-en-zie!"

I shake out of my day dream to see my best friend, Cammie Weaver, angrily shaking a bread stick at me, "You're doing it again."

"Hm?"

"You're zoning out on me," she sighs, collapsing back into her seat, "I swear ever since Finn left on that study abroad thing you've been a bigger bummer then usual."

Finn. His name leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Ever since he betrayed me back at Genesis Labs two months ago I've been trying to avoid the subject at all costs. I made up some lie at school about how Finn Smith was off doing a month abroad in Italy or something. As for the Hero, people seemed to forget about him when all those new heroes showed up. (Well, except Cammie who is still the proud president of the Hero's fan club.)

"Sorry, I know. I've been off lately," I admit. I have been in sort of a rut. Finding out your best friend is a traitor and your father a villainous liar tends to do that. "No more moping, I swear."

"It's alright Mack, I think Cammie has enough pep for the both of you," Mike chimes in. Mike is the third member of our trio. Don't let the good guy act fool you, he's way more intuitive then he lets on. Although he's never had to say it out loud I suspect that he may know the truth about Finn's alter ego all along.

"Stay out of this Mike, you have no room to talk. You've been acting all high and mighty ever since being a bball star fluffed your ego," Cammie teases. Mike is sort of the star player at our school. Right now we're in winter break but once school starts up again he'll be busy with practices.

There is sort of an awkward emptiness without Finn here. I never realized how quickly he molded into our group. Right now I'd even take Levi. He's out of town right now doing who knows what. He tends to pop in and out of Vertigo without much warning.

Suddenly there is a beeping. Cammie practically pulls a muscle with how fast she whips out her phone. "Ehmigawd, there's an Olympian Squad update," she squeals. The Olympian Squad is the new group of Supers in Vertigo.

And that's a whole issue altogether.

They appeared out of nowhere, a group of ten, spanking hot, new Supers. They banded together with their little team and swore to protect the city like our own personal Justice League.

Three months ago I would be all up in a tizzy trying to get to the bottom of this. Where did they come from? What do they want? Can they be trusted?

All the equipment used to build Supers was destroyed along with Genesis Labs. There shouldn't be anymore Supers. The Olympian Squad should not exist.

Yet, here they are: smiling and waving on the local news live streamed onto Cammie's phone.

"Atlas is definitely the hottest," Cammie comments, "Not as hot as the Hero, duh, but the boy is fine. Or maybe Pollux? He has that whole angst thing going on. Oh but Circe is such a badass, I love her! Ugh, I just can't pick a favorite. Mack? Thoughts?"