Chapter 17 - She Tried To Kill Me

Olivia heads into the bathroom, panting.

She opens the medicine cabinet and takes out a 100 milligram plastic vial of Thorazine and a syringe.

She closes the small door and looks in the mirror; she discoveres that her nose is bleeding profusely.

She chokes on something. She coughs, hard, hacking up enormous bits of blood.

Scared, she sticks her hand in her throat. Something in there hurts.

She fishes around as deeply as she can, and spits a bloody chunk into the sink.

It's a PIECE OF GLASS the size of a bottle cap.

She backs away from the sink, scared to death.

Olivia comes out from the bathroom, just in time to witness the room door gently closing itself.

This stops her stone cold. She looks outside the window now. Darkness seems to swallow the light.

The mirror very lightly cracks and splinters.

Olivia doesn't know what's going on, and she doesn't want to stick around to find out.

She races for the door.

Then she STOPS.

The muscles in her legs contract, as if something were holding her back and won't let her go.

She's frozen in the middle of the room, trembling, every one of her muscles straining.

The corners of the room get drained of all light. Pitch black.

A thick stream of urine runs down her leg, creating a puddle at her feet.

--------------------------------------------------

Natalie is plucking shrapnel from David's arm. He winces in pain.

"Am I hurting you? I don't know what I'm doing..."

"You're doing great." David winces.

She delicately removes a piece of shrapnel.

Suddenly, the pounding from the basement stops.

Next, they hear the loud sound of glass shattering. It comes from the main bedroom.

Eric runs toward the bedroom. "Olivia!"

Eric approches the bedroom. "Oliv--?"

There's no sign of her. He looks toward the half-shit door to the bathroom.

Eric pushes the door open. It's very dark, although he can see the destroyed pieces of mirror on the floor.

Rainwater filters in through the roof; it drips onto the lamp hanging from the ceiling.

Eric hits the switch and there's a short circuit. The light flickers on and off intermittently.

We see--

Olivia's back is to us and she's crouched down in the shower half-hidden by the curtain.

"Baby, are you okay? What are you doing in there?"

Next to Olivia, we hear the sound of something like a knife cutting through meat. Eric doesn't see it, but she has a shard of glass in her hand and is moving it rapidly near her face.

An enormous puddle of blood extends the length of the bathroom, ending beneath her feet.

Eric sees a hunk of flesh on the floor.

"Baby?"

Eric's face reflects pure horror..

A new hunk of flesh falls into the empty shower. She turns toward him and--

"OH MY GOD!" Eric yells.

Olivia has carved half the skin from her face with a piece of mirror. Eric gags, choking back vomit.

"WHY THE FUCK DID YOU DO THAT?!"

She steps calmly into the light, looking at him like an animal curious about his presence there.

She's taken so much skin from her face that we can see the interior of her mouth and her jawbone.

"Oh, god, fuck, no!"

Eric steps backwards, right onto the piece of her face on the floor. He SLIPS AND FALLS onto his back, slamming his ribs against the toilet.

She walks towards him, holding out the shard of glass. She's frighteningly calm.

The pain of hitting his ribs has knocked the air out of Eric. He tries to scream but it's impossible. He flops onto his chest at the same time a gust of wind SLAMS THE DOOR SHUT behind him.

He turns back to Olivia and discovers that she's practically right on top of him.

She gives him a horrendous look and in one swift move, plunges the shard into his ribs.

The pain is so intense that he can't scream. Every muscle of his entire body is on fire, trembling, as he tries to reach the shard imbedded in his glesh.

At the same time, Olivia's hand reaches for a used syringe laying on the floor near the bathroom basket. She holds it upside-down and JABS IT UP INTO ERIC'S FACE REPEATEDLY!

There's no expression on her eyes; just a cold look.

One slices through Eric's cheek, others break his glasses, one goes right next to his left eye.

"AAAAAAARGH!" Eric cries for help.

Infuriated, he gathers all his strength and pushes Olivia off of him.

Her head hits the base of the toilet so hard that it cracks in two.

--------------------------------------------

David stumbles down the hallway towards the bedroom, responding to his friend's cries.

"Eric!"

He rushes into the room and opens the door to the bathroom.

David covers his mouth, horrified by the bloodbath.

Eric is sitting against the wall. The needle sticks out of the skin next to his left eye and he's bleeding profusely.

He pants, trying to breathe.

"She tried to kill me... She tried to kill me..." He murmurs.

Natalie appears behind David. She SCREAMS when she sees what has happened.

On the other side of the bathroom, next to the remains of the toilet, Olivia's lifeless body is facedown.

The bloody syringe is in her hand.

A hole in her skull oozes blood.

Natalie stares down, the innocence in her eyes gone forever.