Chapter 4 - The Cabin

*MOMENTS LATER*

The group waits on the porch with some  bags and supplies. David fishes a rusty key out of his backpack.

"Lock is probably all fucked up."

He tries putting it in the lock when he realizes something's wrong.

"What the?"

David gently pushes the door with one hand and it swings open. One of the first glimpes he catches is of a dusty, framed photo of a smiling, maternal woman-- David and Olivia's mother. Ordinarily, it would be welcoming, but it just looks creepy.

----------------------------------------

The door bangs into a crowbar on the floor.

"What?" Olivia says to David.

David picks the crowbar up and enters the cabin.

"Looks like someone broke in." David replies.

A thick layer of dust makes the cabin look creepy. A few small rays of light filter in through the shuttered windows. Even though the photos on the wall are only a few years old, it looks like the place has been neglected for decades.

Mia covers her mouth. "What's that smell?"

David advances into the dark.

"David?" Natalie stares into the dark, waiting for David to be visible again.

"Wait here guys." David whispers.

David slowly searches the place, crowbar hanging from his hand, not sure of what he's gonna bump into. He crosses the dusty living room, checking out the kitchen.

******

From the hallway, he looks inside the master bedroom. Everything's very dark.

--------------------------------------------

He fixates the window at the end of the hall. Something is moving behind the curtains.

He gets there and YANKS them back, illuminating the place.

CRWAAAAC! A black crow swoops towards him, flapping its wings.

It flies outside, scaring everyone in its path.

Eric grabs his chest, startled. "Shit! I hate crows."

David scans the room. "It's all clear. Some teenagers probably broke in here to drink beer and bump uglies.

"And why not?" Says Olivia.

Mia walks into the living room and gives a long look at the place.

There's some family photos on the wall. David and Mia (much younger) are in most of them.

"Mom would've hated seeing the cabin like this." Mia says in a depressed tone.

Olivia puts her arm around Mia. "No big deal. We'll make it livable, okay Mi?"

Mia is not too sure.

"Maybe hang some nice curtains over there by that rat's corpse.

Mia smiles at David. He smiles back.