Chapter 10 - Don't Say It

---------------------------

An electric knife at full speed slices a juicy piece of cold beef. Natalie is making lunch. She looks through the window in front of her to see, under hard rain, Mia walking in circles over and over out in the rain.

"What is she doing?"

Next to Natalie, Olivia pours herself a mug of hot coffee. "Running it out of her system. They say the cramps are so painful that it makes you want to hack your limps off with a chainsaw."

"I feel so bad for her." Natalie says, watching Mia go in circles.

-----------------------------------

Outside, Mia runs in circles around the cabin under the rain. She's barefoot but doesn't seem to notice as she tramples twigs and thorns. Her face is twisted with agony and pain.

-----------------------------

*MASTER BEDROOM*

With a small pocketknife, Eric tries to work the piece of leather on top of the terrifying book he found in the basement earlier, binding it together free.

SNAP!

He cuts through the leather, liberating the pages.

He opens it. Very distant screams and whines are heard.

The first page reads: Naturom Demonto

He thumbs through the pages, finding yellowing sheaves covered with disturbing drawings and writings.

"My God...."

There's drawings of a demon with wings, a spiny backside of an animal, a woman on fire....

Eric keeps browsing through the pages, thrilled by what appears to be an important academic find.

"This is unreal. Tenure, here I come."

All of pages are filled with handwritten notes--- in different handwriting, colors, and languages.

Eric reads some notes that leap from the pages:

LEAVE THIS BOOK ALONE

SONO TUTTI MORTI

HE'LL SUCK YOUR SOUL DRY

DAD IS OUTSIDE AND TRIED TO KILL US...

They seem to be the warnings, advice, and experience of hundreds of different people who have found the book throughout its long existence.

-----------------------

**STONE WALL ROOM**

David uses a red box cutter to take down the crows hanging from the ceiling of the basement. He cuts the base of the claws and puts the rotten bodies inside a garbage bag.

--------------------------------------

**MASTER BEDROOM**

Eric continues reading while taking notes and translating some loose words; one page catches his attention more than the rest.

In the center are four words that have been violently scratched out. Eric is intrigued by them.

Next to the words, dozens of notes warn:

DON'T F'KING SAY IT!

DON'T SAY IT, DON'T WRITE IT, DON'T HEAR IT!

THEY OPEN THE DOOR TO HIM!

Eric can't help but smile at all this.

"Awesome..."

Eric grabs a piece of paper from the desk, puts it over the scratches words, and starts tracing character by character, trying to figure out the words.

He discovers the first one and speaks it out loud:

"Kunda..."

----------------------------

*A violently fast POV runs through the woods with a deafening dark and low pitched sound.*

---------------------------------

The next word is revealed:

"...Astratta.."

---------------------------------

*The POV runs and finally seems to attack a wandering starving coyote. A gush of blood splashes over an old tree.*

---------------------

Another word.

".....Montosse..."

-------------------------------------

**STONE WALL ROOM**

David attempts to cut down a dead bird with the box cutter when---

CRWAAAC! The rotting bird begins to FLAP VIOLENTLY and falls in the water, lifeless.

Completely dead.

"What the?!" 

----------------------------------------------

**MASTER BEDROOM**

And finally, the last word.

"Can'da."

-----------------------------------------------

Mia stops running under the cabin and VOMITS ALL OVER THE GRASS, then wipes her face clean with her sleeve. She looks like death warmed over.

"Please God, give me a break..."

She hears Grandpa, chained to the tool shed, barking at something in the woods. She looks up.

Between the trees, a few meters away, a STARVING COYOTE watches her. Its eyes are black and disturbed. It stares at Mia and Mia stares back.

The beast pants anxiously, then a thick thread of blood drips from its snout. Too much blood to be real.

The trees and branches next to the animal seems to bend and crack violently.

Mia looks right at this. She's not scared, just furious.

----------------------------

**LIVING ROOM- MOMENTS LATER**

BOOM! The front door opens. Mia enters, agitated. She begins throwing things into her backpack.

Natalie looks at her, worried. "What are you doing?"

Mia doesn't take time to look at her. She continues packing. "I'm sorry but I have to get out of here. Now."