Chapter 7 - The Talk

**A WHILE LATER**

In the distance, a coming storm is heard. Wind has started to blow harder now.

Mia plays fetch with the old dog a few meters away from the cabin. She throws the ball aggressively, as if trying to focus on anything but her own discomfort.

David walks out to the porch and watches her from a distance.

Eric quietly murmurs "She's gonna kill that old bastard."

David turns to discover Eric and Olivia sitting on the hammock. "Hey, Looks like a storm is coming."

Olivia looks concerned. "David, there's something we need to discuss."

"Yeah what?" David looks at them, intrigued.

"We already tried this whole thing back in Flint last summer. Mia made the same promises, took the same dramatic vow of sobriety before chucking her dope in the toilet..."

"She lasted eight hours and quit." Eric adds in.

"That's why we don't want to give her the chance this time." Olivia looks David in the eyes with concern.

"What do you mean?" David now has a weird look on his face.

"David, when she breaks, and believe me, she will, we don't want her to leave." Olivia still has the same expression as before.

"What? You are planning to keep her here by force?"

Their silence says yes. David shakes his head.

"We all need to be together on this, otherwise it won't work."

"Uh.." David is lost for words.

"She's certainly not gonna enjoy it. But hey, sometimes the only way is the hard way." Eric says.

David takes a deep breath. He looks at his sister far away. She can't hear them.

"Look at her David, she won't survive another O.D."  Olivia states.

David turns back to Olivia. He's stunned by her words. "What? Wait... Mia O.D'd?"

They can't believe David doesn't know this.

"She didn't just O.D. man. Legally, your sister died. They had to fucking defibrillate her." Eric is now getting angry.

"We were there. It was horrible." Olivia nods.

David looks out towards Mia, who's still tossing the ball to Grandpa unaware of the whole conversation.

"We really need your support on this David. We can't fail this time." Olivia continues.

Thunder roars now.

--------------------------------------------------------------

**IN THE MASTER BEDROOM. JUST A LITTLE LATER**

"Gosh, so what did you tell them?" Natalie asks.

David, standing on the toilet, adjusts the pilot light on an old water heater. Natalie watches him from the door.

"Well, I came here trying to make things better with my sister, not worse. So if she asks me to take her home at some point, I'm gonna have to do it."

"But what if Olivia is right? Maybe you're just afraid to follow through with this--"

David interrupts, "Oh God, here we go.."

"I'm just saying you do have trouble committing sometimes."

David steps down from the toilet and heads to the sink.

"What about that rock I put on your finger?"

Natalie pauses, looking at her diamond ring.

"Exactly my point , you think of it as just a "rock."

"Sorry, what are we talking about here exactly?" David has a confused look on his face.

Natalie hopelessly says, "Commitment, David."

David turns his back to Natalie and lets the hot water run.

"Give me a break, Nat. Trust me, I know what that is."

"Well, I guess we'll find that out soon.

Natalie turns and exits the bedroom.

David puts his hand under the hot water.

He JUMPS BACK.

"SHIT!"

He turns back to the heated and slams it with his other fist.

"FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT!"

David's hand is now a bright, painful red.