Chapter 6 - Baby, Little Baby

David knocks once and enters the bedroom.

Mia sits on her bed browsing through the family album pages, while having a smoke.

"Hey, are you supposed to do that?" David gives a strict look.

She looks at the cigarette and shrugs. "Soon everything's gonna start tasting like shit anyway."

David stands there a second. "You okay?"

"It's that freaking smell in there. It's driving me crazy."

"I don't smell anything."

David opens a drawer filled with light bulbs and old fuses.

Mia takes the album off the bed and flips through it again. "What was that song that mom used to sing to us?"

"What?.." David said as if he was suprised to hear that question.

"..Something about 'baby, little baby, it's time to say goodbye'.."

"Hey, Mia please, I don't think you need sad memories in your head right now."

"Mom is not a sad one."

"You know what I mean."

Mia looks at him and takes a long drag on her cigarette. Smoke starts coming out of her mouth while she speaks now. "You know, during her last days at the hospital, Mom sometimes believed I was you."

David starts taking stuff out of the drawer, his back to Mia. He closes his eyes for a moment. He didn't want to hear this.

"Once she even called me David for a whole day. Of course I played along. Some part of her needed to believe you were there."

David shits the drawer and turns to Mia. "Mia, look, I really wanted to be there. But by the time Mom got bad, I had just gotten the shop up and running in Chicago, and I don't know, I had a hard time finding the right moment to go back to Flint. Then... And then, it was just too late..."

Mia looks at David. "Maybe you were lucky, not to see her the way I did."

"Yeah... Maybe you are right." David says in a husky voice.

Mia takes the cigarette out of her mouth and puts it out. She stands and heads for the door. "This has already started tasting like shit."

She abruptly leaves the room.

David stays there alone, he looks toward the open album on the bed.

The album was open to a picture of David, Mia, and their mother.