Angel With A Shotgun. [2/2]

The actual games part of this one shot.

Warning: You might want to grab a tissue box, because you might (well probably) cry. It's sappy...and cute...and sad. I cried...and I wrote it. Just so you know. 

_______

Calum ran towards the middle along with all of the other tributes. His eyes darted around, looking for something that would be of use to him.

Within the chaos, Calum saw an orange backpack unattended. Instinctively Calum ran towards it and tried to grab it.

It was a near death experience as an arrow went flying past his head. He dived for the ground and grabbed the backpack, shielding himself.

Calum then heard a grunt. He looked up, seeing Ashton tomahawk throw his ax towards the archer. It hit the archer square in the chest. The girl fell over and assumingly died.

Ashton picked up a backpack and slung it over his back as Calum did the same.

"Come on Calum! We have to get out of here!" He yelled as I stood frozen.

I ignored him as I looked at the bleeding bodies on the ground and the other tributes running around.

"Where's Luke? Luke!" Calum yelled.

"We'll find him later. We need to get out of here," Ashton told him.

Calum hesitated then nodded as he ran after Ashton, running deeper and deeper into the woods. Once they were well hidden in the trees, Ashton and Calum sat against a tree and tried to catch their breath.

Calum opened his backpack to see a canteen full of water, a couple of throwing knives that Luke would have, rope, and a tarp. Calum was lucky to get everything he had.

Calum looked up at Ashton and saw that the curly haired lad had an ax in his hand and in a belt that he wore, with a backpack full of other supplies.

"How do I know I can trust you?" Calum asked Ashton.

Ashton looked at him.

"Luke and I are somewhat close. Believe it or not, we're actually cousins. We lived close to each other...until something happened with my family...and we were moved to District 7. But I trained like a Career before that. I was moved only a year ago. It was purely coincidental that we both volunteered for this year's games. But...it makes sense...because we're both eighteen." 

"We both sort of hated District 1. Even though District 1 is one of the richer districts...there are some snotty people there.  Some of the people there are awful." 

Ashton paused.

"During practice, I've seen the way Luke looks at you. It's the same way my sister looks at a blooming cherry tree, it's love. That's when I thought...I'd team up with you and Luke. I talked to him during practice...and said that I wanted to team up with him and you. He agreed. 

Ashton paused again. 

"He just really wants to keep you safe Calum. I'm going to help him do that."

"Oh. Okay," Calum replied, unable to find words to say.

"So, how to we find Luke?" Ashton asked.

Calum scratched the back of his head. He had no idea how to.

"You don't find him. I come find you," a voice said.

Ashton and Calum looked back, seeing Luke walk towards us as he carried a backpack as well.

Calum smiled and ran towards him. I jumped into his arms and held on to him tightly as he did the same.

"I'm assuming Ashton got you here safely," Luke assumed, kissing his cheek.