Moonlit Sleep

Chapter 10

---Kiara's POV---

"Kiara, Kiara sweetheart . . ."

Where was that voice coming from . . .? It sounded like the prince . . . Wait . . .had I fallen asleep? My eyes slowly open and they immediately began adjusting to get a better look at him. He seemed troubled. Had something happened. My eyes searched the surroundings and that was when I realized that we were in my room. Crap! I was now fully conscious. This was bad. If he were in here then he knew about Ezra. I looked over at Ezra and saw that he looked just as terrified as I felt. What would Rolan do now that he knew.

He looked down at me and his brows crinkled. "You're expression tells me that you already knew he was here." He said softly. Somehow he sounded hurt. "You were hiding him weren't you?" I nodded slowly. "And he was why you were hording food, isn't he?" I nodded again. Why did he sound so sad. . . ? He shook his head. "So even after I asked you to be honest with me you still lied."

"Well no it wasn't like that---"

He kissed me on my forehead then turned to exit. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Rolan wait . . ."

"Goodnight my princess." He left the room without a reply. I looked down. I didn't mean to hurt him. . .I-I just didn't want him to send Ezra away.. . .but . . .if I had known he would have been so upset I probably would have taken my chances and talked to him about it. He had been so nice to me and I hurt him. Yet, despite that he still called me his princess before he left. I felt horrid. . .

That night I got no sleep at all. I was too worried about Rolan. What if he lost all trust in me? I tossed and turned but couldn't fall asleep and after awhile I stopped trying. Sleeping didn't seem right. I had to find a way to fix it. I glanced over at the clock on my wall. I never learnt to read one but certain positions were familiar to me because of what took place at those times. What did the short hand being on the squibbly thing have to do with anything? I sighed and looked through the window. The moon was alittle past half way through the sky and we were approaching summer so . . .it was late. Would the prince be sleeping now?

I snuck out of the room, be sure not to wake Ezra and slipped into Rolan's room. I shut the door behind me as quietly as I could so I wouldn't wake him but when I turned around I realized that my efforts were futile. He sat up in his large bed, with his back leaned against the bed post, looking over at me. I froze where I stood. He was doing abit more than staring at me, I just knew it. Why had I come? Now that I was here I realized that I never planned on him being awake,

"Yes princess?"

Something had just occurred to me; he was now calling me 'princess' instead of my actual name. Was he really so hurt?

I took an unceratain step towards him but dared not go any further. I would wait to find out whether or not it was safe to proceed. "I--" He gestured for me to go over to him. I swallowed hard then began waling over to his bed. He patted the spot next to him. I knew I had begun blushing as I crawled over to him. I sat next to him but couldn't bring myself to look him in the eyes. 

"Do you think that I am some form of great beast?" His voice held no discernible emotions.

"N-No--"

"Do I scare you or come off as unapproachable?"

"That's not why--"

"So it's just that you genuinely don't trust me then."

"No! I whispered urgently now looking up at him. "No, it wasn't like that." I paused to tae a deep breath, hoping to gain some courage. "I-I do trust you, and you're the most approachable person I've ever met by far. It's just that when I saw him I thought of everyone who already hated the fact that you had allowed me to stay and I thought that they would have convinced you that one was enough. I guess I--" How was I able to do this? I had never been very good at explaining myself to anyone . . ."I missed him so much and once he found me I couldn't stand the thought of losing him again."