Chapter 25: Feel The Tension

"How's Melanie been?" Duncan Kieth questions in the locker room, quite loud over the music that was playing. As the words escaped his mouth the whole locker room seemed to turn and look at him and Patrick's direction, Sharp even lowered the music.

It was inevitable that Melanie would be brought up, Patrick knew it. But Patrick was hoping she wouldn't be brought up until Patrick had Ella a little closer.

"Yea Kaner, we haven't seen her in a while.." Someone else added. Patrick couldn't avoid the question and he could feel Jonathan's eyes burning through him.

"We broke up" Patrick said bluntly "Just had some differences" He added, his mouth now dry.

"Just ended it? Melanie? The one who was crazy about you? Stopped your drinking? That Melanie?" Dan Carcillo questioned with a raised eyebrow. Patrick was a little shocked for Dan was rather quiet in the locker room.

"It's over now drop it" Jonathan's serious voice rang out, he knew these guys all too well and soon they'd be hounding Patrick with questions. They'd also never understand why Patrick dropped Melanie for a stranger, not even Jonathan fully understood.

The locker room stayed silent as guys directed their focus back at their equipment. Patrick began to tape his blade with a lump in his throat. Things with Ella we're going great right now, but what if it doesn't work out? Then he just threw away a great relationship with Melanie.

Patrick left the locker room and met Jonathan in the workout room where he turned off the treadmill as soon as he saw Pat enter.

"Patrick" Jonathan called. He knew what was coming when Jonathan called his full first name.

"Listen, Jon-"

"Patrick I don't care about all that, was she she worth it?" He asks, his brown eyes suddenly enlarged as he gazed at Patrick.

Was she? You can't even use the pass tense, she'd be an is. And god, Patrick never wanted her to be a was.

"Jonathan I'm working on it" He answered

"I know Patrick but you're worrying me.." He paused "She's all you talk about now and you two aren't even dating-"

"Listen I'm sorry but I really like her". Patrick responded quickly with an attitude in his voice. Jonathan should know better than all people. Ella was special to him.

"I don't doubt that man but maybe you're just head over heels a little to early.. I mean you barely even know her"

"Of all the people I really thought you'd be the last person I'd have to have this conversation with" Patrick snaps. He storms passed Jon, flinging his workout towel on the way out. Angrily he leaves the arena before heading back to the hotel, he would pay for this tomorrow with coach.

Patrick was benched for the game that night and didn't see Jonathan or the team till the next morning when he awkwardly encountered them as he entered their bus. Quietness filled the bus as Patrick took a seat in the front by himself. I'm sure Jonathan had told them about a fight they had had but knowing Jonathan be probably didn't mention that it was over Ella.

The last thing stubborn Patrick wanted to do was apologize to Jonathan. Apologizing to him meant he would be saying sorry for how he felt. Yes, Patrick's emotions were flippy floppy but it was more than obvious that with Ella it's so different and he believed he could confine in Jonathan.. And now Jonathan seemed sick of hearing about her.

From the bus, they arrived at the airport and were flew to Los Angeles to play the Kings. Only a week left and Patrick would be home. On bus rides he would send Ella a text or two, with which she'd respond for a while before having to end it. The week passed by rather quickly for Patrick who wasn't really talking to anyone on the team.

Jonathan was so mad at him he couldn't even make eye contact with Patrick. The rest of the team was pretty confused as the locker room filled with awkward silence and tension between the two, but no one said anything.

When the team finally touched down in Chicago, it was a breath of fresh air. Finally Patrick could have some alone time in the confides of his home until Jonathan got over the situation. Besides Jonathan raging with jealousy, Patrick has bigger things to worry about like him and Ella's date that would be happening two night from now.