Chapter 6: Roses by the Dozen

"Why are you so smiley peaks?" Jonathan questioned as Patrick emerged into the locker room with a smile booming across his face, it was radiant. He swore his face was stuck like that, he couldn't get it to move. Patrick had just returned from Ella's dorm where he left her roses and a ticket. He knew exactly where she was sitting, the seat right next to left face off circle on the left side of the rink.

"I'm excited, lets get on a two game winning streak!" Patrick boasted

"Okay?" Jon made a face at him, Patrick was never this happy before a game. He rolled his eyes once and than turned his attention back to the stick he was mending to.

When the team headed out for warmups Patrick immediately took notice that the United Center was a lot more full than normal. Jon and him had talked about it numerous times about how they wanted to get more people in, make it a packed house.

Taking the ice, Patrick's blue eyes quickly found a puck to warmup with. His eyes desperately scanning for Ella. Her seat was empty and for some reason the sight caused his stomach to stir.

No way she'd miss this he thought.

Finally one last glance with a minute left in warmups there she was. Her brown hair let loose and flowing, God it was beautiful down. Her neck dawned a Hawks scarf. She was oblivious to Patrick as she took her seat while the final buzzer went off.

"Kaner?" Someone called, snapping Patrick out of his stare.

"Huh?" He mumbles, snapping his head back towards the bench were Carcillo was holding the bench door open, he was the last on the ice. Shaking his head at himself for losing his train of thought over a girl he could never have, he made his way of the ice.

When the team returned to the ice for the game Patrick took to the blue line. Taking off his bucket he laid it on the ice and rested his hands on the knob of his stick as the star spangled banner roared through the crowd.

Once the song was over and the lights were on, the United Center roared loudly as the players set for the face off on the Indian head.

The game was a physical one, Patrick took a few hits in the first half of the period. With seven minutes left in the first the wild struck first on a breakaway because of a turn over at the blue line.

A groan broke out in the United Center as fans slumped deep into their seats. The Hawks trailed the Wild all throughout the game up until the third period.

Patrick took for the face off, glancing up, he could see Ella. Her face showed boredom much like the rest of the fans. She had turned quickly and from the ice he could see her hazel eyes glisten. Snapping back into the game Patrick won the face-off clean, sending the puck to Brent Seabrook who began to carry it into the offensive zone.

From there it was a tic tac toe effect, Seabs, Keith, Toews. The red light illuminated behind the goaltender and fans jumped from their seats, cheers erupted.

1:00 minute exactly left in regulation.

Time would expire and OT would solve the game's winner. Just in the slot Patrick ripped the puck, he knew where he wanted it to, right where mom hides the cookies. He found himself being bombarded by teammates, the Chelsea Dagger was being belched out by the crowd.

"Way to go Kaner!" Jonny yelled over the noise, Patrick couldn't help but blush.

He had scored it for her.

Back in the locker room be changed quickly, showering faster than he ever had before.

Waiting for him was his best suit, his nicest one. It was simple and black, with a white shirt and royal blue tie; his eyes glistened in it.

Patrick stood in the mirror of the bathroom, running his hand through his golden locks. Finally he had gotten it to fall just how he liked it.

In the back hall Patrick collected the bouquet of six roses, six roses that would complete her dozen.

With butterflies in his stomach he left and headed to were she would be waiting for him.