Chapter 20: Failed Attempt

His blue eyes had a twinkle in them as he looked at me. It was the slightest twinkle but I swore it was there.

"So where are we going?" I question as we make our way to his truck.

"I want it to be a suprise"

"If you hadn't noticed, I'm not a fan of surprises" I mumble in reference to his surprise pop up at my game earlier today.

"I'm sorry you lost, the important part is you're okay"

"It doesn't matter if I'm okay, I'll still play with a broken leg but a loss is a loss. Being o and one isn't how I pictured the season opener" He had now managed to piss me off.

"You have a short temper" He points out, it was a flaw of mine.

"I'm a hockey player, cut me some slack" I mumble. I hated playing that card but it was enough of an excuse to get people off my case about my attitude. I had to admit I was a good girl, good grades, always focused on hockey and school but I've been threaten to be kicked off the team once freshman year and another time junior year because of my short temper.

It wasn't like it was so serious I needed anger management it's just that I'm a little stubborn with a mouth. It was something I was working on but I normally pushed it off, I had bigger things to worry about than how I felt at times.

Patrick pulls the car up to this beautiful big building and than I realized where we were, one of the most expensive restaurants in Chicago.

"No no Patrick" I shake my head

"You don't like this restaurant?" Patrick questions, worrying settling in his eyes.

"Look at me, I don't belong here nor am I dressed like I do" I sigh "Plus I don't want you spending so much money on me"

"I get a discount" he chuckles as he plays with the keys in his fingers. "Can we just try it?"

"I- I guess" I smile. I was willing to try.

The place is beautiful, over looking the city that I didn't nearly take enough advantage of.

Inside, we are quickly seated but I can feel eyes glued to me. Everyone had beautiful dresses, hair done up nice with makeup and jewelry to match. The most expensive thing I had was red bottoms that were given to my by my brother for my birthday, I could never afford them myself.

"Don't let them make you feel uncomfortable, you look beautiful" Patrick assures me. Even though I was highly uncomfortable, I knew he was making an effort.

"I know, you're just so much more use this than I am"

We ordered an appetizer, which I needed glasses to see. For such a high price it was a joke.

"You don't seem like you're having fun" Patrick confessed as he poured me expensive wine.

"I am, well I'm trying" I convince as I sip from my glass.

"Hey so, what are you planning to do after you graduate?" He questions, trying to make conversation. Patrick swirls the wine around in his glass as he sits back in his chair and slumps down.

"I'm moving back home" I roll my eyes

"Home?"

"Springfield, boring place" I mutter

"Wasn't Lincoln born there?"

"That's about all that town has"

"Are you moving back in with your parents?"

"I guess, until I get a job and can afford my own place"

"So thats it? That's all you have is moving back home?"

"I moved here to Chicago to get some life, hockey and school haven't given me the opportunity. After school I have to move home, that's all there is to it."

Patrick than sets down his glass of wine, which he's only take two sips from, and leans in closer. "How about I give you a tour of the city and we leave this place" he whispers.

"That sounds amazing" My face lights up at the thought of leaving this boring restaurant. With devious smirks, we pay for our appetizers and ditch before the waiter returns.

Chicago was beyond chilly this time of year, the wind whipped Patrick and I's hair around. But the both of us got lost under Chicago's lights that we couldn't care less.

We stumbled upon a coffee shop where we both ordered hot chocolate to warm our bodies. Together we sat close to one another as our fingers curled around the warm cup.

"So what about you? What's in store for your future?" I ask with curious eyes

"Hockey, lots of hockey"

"What about after you retire huh? You ever think of that?"

"No, I have a long career ahead, with many cups in the future... But I guess I want to teach hockey to kids."

"I like that a lot" I smile