He's Amazingly Hot, Charming And Smart...And An Alpha Werewolf. (12)

Archer Bronze was half animal?

 I stumbled back against his kitchen counter, breathing heavily. "This is not happening." I cried. "You aren't an.. animal. You can't be an animal."

The wolf eyed me, looking nervous and I sucked in a breath. "Oh.. my GOD." I breathed. "Holy sh*t!" 

All of a sudden, Wolf-- Archer, lept from the room. I watched him go into his room, my fingers pressed against my temples. What kind of a world was this? A world where humans were animal? I couldn't wrap my mind around the situation. Did Archer want to kill me?

Was he going to eat me?

What if, all the times we'd fought, he'd really wanted to kill me?

And then I saw human Archer, shirtless except for a pair of jeans, coming out of his rooms; his scent like cinnamon, mint, a woody, foresty scent, and an underlying whiff of jasmine. 

I wanted to turn right back around and leave his flat. And I never wanted to come back. But something in his electrifying eyes was making me stay.

His deep green eyes, swirling with flecks of molten gold, were pleading with me.

He took a cautious step towards me and I moved backwards, gripping the edge of the counter for support. 

"Journey," Archer said, his voice sounding sad. "I'm so, so sorry, but there was no other way. I couldn't tell you, and I had to show you. So if you put two and two together without me having to tell you.."

"You.. are.. not fully human?" I started.

Archer shook his head.

"But you're not fully wolf.. so you're.."

Archer nodded, closing his eyes.

"Werewolf?" I breathed.

"Yes."

"And why didn't you ever tell me!?" I demanded. "How did this happen? Who else is involved?" I yelled. This couldn't be happening. I had to be imagining the whole thing.

Archer sighed. "Me, Damien, and a few other people in the school. We have a pack. And.. I'm the alpha."

I took a deep breath. "So.. you're the alpha of a werewolf pack?"

He nodded. "I didn't choose to be this way.. I was just born like this. And.. I'm sorry. If you don't wan to be around me, then.. well.. I guess we're both doomed."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well.. every wolf.. has a mate."

I squeezed my eyes shut. I could already see what was coming.

"I'm not your mate." I said. "I'm not. I can't be your mate."

Archer stepped closer to me. "You can't choose who's your mate and who isn't your mate. It just.. happens."

"But I don't want to be your mate!"
"I know you hate me, Journey, you don't have to rub it in. But if we don't get together then both of us are going to die."

My mouth fell open.

"We're going to die?" I murmered, my hands shaking. 

Truth be told, I wasn't going to put on a tough act. I was scared shitless.

And, faster than must have been possible, he was right in front of me, his warm hand slipping around my waist. "Don't be scared," He whispered into my neck. "I promise it won't happen." His touch cooled the itchy flames that had been rising in me.