35-I would lay down my life for you

I stand there in horror, watching my brother hold a sword to the throat of a new friend that helped me.

"Alexon!" Mason snaps. "He is a friend! He saved your life!"

"No, let him, Mason. It is unacceptable that I was born this way. Let him pove to only himself that I am harmful." Alaric mutters sadly and sarcastically.

I giggle as Mason chuckles. "Didn't you get suspicious when I awoke when he suddenly came for me?"

Alexon freezes before his eyes widen. "You never harmed her."

"No, your highness. I protected her." Alaric mumbles. "I also saved her life when she was in her sleep. That sleep could have killed her."

"Sleep?"

"When she fell off of the cliff? That is the last thing she remembers before waking up to see me."

"Oh...oh!"

I look to my brother to with a small frown. "You scared me half to death. I don't want to loose a new friend. It is hard enough for me to make them!"

He looks away and sheaths the sword. I sigh in relief and hug my brother tightly. "Thank you, Alexon." I mutter.

"I'm sorry, Alaric. We could always use a warlock as an ally." Alexon apologizes as Mason takes me into his arms.

"It is quite alright. I understand what I have done to you to deserve it." Alaric accepts the apology.

"But you saved my life-"

"And you spared mine. I know it is customary for a royal to kill a witch or warlock and I am thankful for you sparing me. You sister is a nice friend to have. She offered to help me learn my-"

I quickly cut Alaric off to ask a question that has been on my mind. "All those things you said weren't true, right?"

"Things I've said? When you were under that...potion?" Peter asks, reminding me he is still in the room.

I nod and bury my face into Mason's chest which is now armor free.

"No, Annabelle, I would never be mean to you. You are my sister and the only family I have left, why would I be mean to you?" Alexon asks, sounding heartbroken.

I peek from Mason's chest to look at my brother to see Alexon looking defeated. "So it was all made up?"

They all nod. I pull away form Mason and walk over to my brother to hug him.

Peter steps forward and speaks. "The King is worried about you. He thinks you are scared of us all and wants you to go and see him."

I nod and look to Mason. He opens his arms and I walk back to him.

"Let's go, Belle. We need to talk to your father and then you should go to sleep." Mason orders.

I nod and he leads me out of the room. We walk towards the King's office in a uncomfortable silence.

Thankfully, Alexon breaks they silence. "All the archers are baffled by how well their princess is shooting. Harold is proud of you, even if he doesn't show it. I wanted them to be motivated. They need to realize that they are learning their skills to protect you."

Yes, protect me because I am some girl. I think bitterly. I am a weakling to them.

"You not just a little girl in our eyes, Belle. You are a woman, a queen to us all. You aren't something we feel forced to protect but something we want to." Peter announces. "I would happily lay my life down for you."

I gaze snaps toward him, my mouth parted in shock and eyes wide. "No! Don't say such foolish things!"

"It is true, your highness. I would lay down my life for you. You are our future queen." Mason chimes in.

What? No, Alexon is supposed to become King and rule. I'm supposed to stay back as crown princess and take the throne only if Alexon somehow dies.

I shake my head to clear it. "No, that isn't true."

"Talk to father, Belle. He will explain." Alexon says before stopping in front of the office doors belonging to our father.

How did we get here so quickly? I take a deep breath and look to my brother. He gives me an encouraging smile. I look to Mason, whose arms are still around my waist, and he has the same smile on his face.

I take a deep breath and turns towards the door. I lift my hand and knock on the door twice, waiting for a loud "come in".

We stand there in silence for that feel like hours and I knock again, worried that he isn't in there. I wait and still no answer. Alexon pulls me away from the door while Peter and Mason walk in.

"What are you-?"

"Hold on a moment, Belle. We will see if he is here or not." Mason says and kisses me on the forehead before walking into the office.

I watch him walk away in confusion.

What is going on? Why did they walk into father's office without his consent?

Is he okay? Did something happen while I was in my hallucination? Is he talking to the prisoner?

"Alexon, where is father?" I ask.

"I don't know."

"Alexon, father is sick."

"I know. It started when mother died."

"He might have left-"

I am suddenly against the wall with my brother's hand over my mouth. I look to his face and see pure rage on it.

"Never, and I mean never, say those words again. He is all we have left of our dysfunctional family. He is what kept us both alive after all these years. He tried to do everything to wake you up when you were in your sleep and he tried to relentlessly to persuade Alaric to leave you here. He made sure all the guards memorized your three cloaks just to make sure none of them ever harmed you. He was more distraught when he saw you in your hallucination than Mason was and that is saying quite a bit."

Tears fill me eyes and Alexon's brown eyes soften. "Annabelle, I'm sorry for snapping. I didn't mean to." He pulls his hand away and hugs me close to him while I cry into his chest.

"Alexon-" Mason begins but immediately becomes quiet. I feel warm hands on my arms before a familiar chest is against my face.

"I have you now, darling. I'm sorry I wish I could take the pain." Mason whispers and kisses the top of my head.

"He's visiting the witch. Peter, go alert the guards and the stable boy. Tell him to prepare Starlight and my horse." Alexon orders, taking the role of leader. Something he was born to be.