18- elves

"Do not fall off. You are to take full care of yourself." The man says. The horse speeds up and my arms tighten around him.

Somehow he got Starlight to let him ride and control her. She originally freaked out but then calmed down when she saw me.

"Sir? May I know your name?" I ask polietly. The forest blurs past me and my hair is thankfully tied into a tight bun.

"Alaric." He answers grumpily.

"A very handsome name to match the face." I tell him them blush at my blutness. What has gotten into me!?

I feel and hear his laugter. "Glad to know the princess has a sense of humor."

"What was wrong with me? Do you know what happened to me?" I blurt out.

His laughter intensifies. "You hit your head very hard princess. I had to fix you. You should be in my debt even more so."

"What do you mean?" I am confused.

"Your father never told you?" He asks shocked.

I shake my head. "No, sir. May you please tell me what is going on?"

"When we get to our destination." He replies and stays quiet. I sigh and wait patiently.

°•°•

"Sir Alaric? Where are we?" I ask as he helps me off of the horse. We are in a whole new kingdom. I've never seen this one before but it is beautiful. It's as if the kingdom came from the ground. The waterfall and river match the shiny walls of the houses and the bridge across the river matches the silver of the water when moonlight would hit it. The forest seems to breathe with the life of the people. The only contrasting component is the red tiles on the houses.

"We are in the land of the Elves." He smiles, happily.

As if they were summoned, a few guards walk forward in golden armor with spears or bows in their hands. Their beauty amazes me. They take in a more worldly image. And to think the fae have a beauty unknown.

"What is going on here, Lord Alaric? Is this lady bothering you?"

One of the guards lifts his spear and points it at me.

"I am not just any lady!" I say, offended.

Theu all seem taken aback. "Then who are you?"

"She is Princess Annabelle Kingston." Alaric responds. All the guards bow in respect.

"If we may ask, your highness, but why are you traveling without any protection?"

"Am I not powerful enough to protect her?" Alaric seems furious.

They just insulted him didn't they? I smile mentally.

I place a hand on Alaric to, hopefully, calm him. "You may ask, and to answer your question it was an on the spot decision. As of right now my kingdom is in war with a neighboring one and it is costing us many guards. Thankfully my brother and our duke taught me how to defend myself some."

The guard nods. "Follow us, princess. If you came here to ask for help, you need to talk to our king. Not his brother."

I turn towards Alaric with a small frown. "You are the elven king's brother? That bit of information would have been nice to know."

"It wouldn't have made the difference, Annabelle." He grips my hand and wraps it around his arm to escort me.

He leads me, along with all the guards, towards the biggest building. On the way there I observe all the buildings in wonder.

We are halfway through the kingdom before I realize Starlight isn't with me. I begin to panic before remembering she can hear my whistle from a very far distance. I turn to look behind me and whistle.

A few guards look at me weirdly before they hear her hooves on the cobblestones. She slows down when she sees me and walks to my side.

"I'm sorry, girl." I tell her and reach out to pet her mane.

She neighs and taps me with her head. I smile and pet her nose.

"What's the horse's name?" A guard asks.

"Starlight." I tell him.

"Where'd you get her from?" Another asks.

"The fae gave her to me after they saved my life. I've kept them safer and helped them become more aware with my my kingdom."

"She's a fae horse?" Alaric asks, completely shocked. I nod. "How is she so calm around you?"

I giggle. "They threw me in the stalls and basically said that whatever horse comes to me is mine. A few walked up to me but Starlight refused to leave me."

"Are you sure she is fully human?" A guard asks Alaric.

Alaric nods. "I'm postive she is fully human. She's been in the grasp of the fae and heavens knows what they could have done to her."

A frown makes its way onto my face as I listen to their converstaion.

"Princess?" Someone asks. I turn to see Alaric looking at me. "A frown doesn't suit you. What has you upset?"

I flash him a smile. "Nothing that concerns you."

This time he frowns. "Annabelle, you need to stay close. We are coming close to the dangerous part of the kingdom. We have to pass through to get to the castle."

I nod as he pulls me closer to his side. My hand never left his arm and I have a funny feeling about all of this.

What did my father do to let this man take me? Why didn't Alexon and Mason fight for me? Do they not care for me? I never got to see Peter.

"Alaric!" His face turns towards me sharply. "Peter! Did you help him?"

"No, why would I?"

"He is the reason I didn't die when Tristan chased us and he is my personal guard."

He sighs. "It is too late to bring him now."

I sigh but nod. How long am I sippose to be his "apprentice"? Two years? Three? Lifetime? I will have to ask him when we are alone. I think no one knows of the bet he made with my father.

To distract myself, I look at all the people around me. The only difference between them and humans are their ears. I look to Alaric and notice he has normal ears.

To break the silence, I speak my mind. "Why aren't your ears like theirs? They said you are the Elven King's brother but you have ears like mine."

I feel the air become tense. "Half brother. I'm his half brother." Alaric says in a clipped tone.

"He is still your brother nonetheless. I was just curious, that's all."

"Why are you here, your highness?" A guard to my left asks.

"She is here to learn some things." Alaric answers for me.

They nod. Does he do that a lot?

"How is your brother, princess?" The same guard asks.

I smile. "Healed and helping my father run the kingdom."

Alaric tugs my arm to gain my attention. "We are here, Annabelle."

My gaze turns forward to see a stone castle coming out of the mountainside.

It has runes and symbols all over the columns and designs above the wooden doors. We walk up the steps and the doors open to a giant throne room. On the throne has to be the most handsome man I have ever seen.

"Alaric! Who is that?" The King bellows.