Chapter 18

Gif of Em at the side :) she's so happy! SO BEAUTIFUL :D 

Important note at the bottom :D

❤ Em's POV ❤

I gasped as I sat upright in my bed. My palms were slick with sweat, and my hair was matted to my forehead. I hurriedly got up, and scurried towards Elliot's bed. After checking on him to make sure he was alright, I relaxed and headed out of the bedroom quietly. 

It was two thirty in the morning according to the time on the microwave. I haven't been sleeping well for the past two nights, thanks to the same nightmare. It was just like five years ago - getting kidnapped by Darren, getting hit in the head by Mackenzie. Except, this time, Elliot was there as well. It was a vivid nightmare - Elliot was screaming and crying, and Mackenzie was holding Elliot. 

"You stole my boyfriend, I'm going to get you back," Mackenzie had screamed shrilly, before holding my son close to her, and cuddling him. After whispering a few words quietly to him, she took a gun and shot him in the head. 

In my nightmare, she didn't even flinch when she did that - she didn't flinch when the blood from his head spurted out. And, usually, that was where I would wake up. It had been happening for the past few nights, and since I was already scared out of my wits, I couldn't go back to sleep for the rest of the night. My panda eyes were getting bigger and bigger, and I was feeling lethargic throughout the day, falling asleep easily at work. 

I sighed again, and massaged my temples. I ripped open the packet of three in one coffee, and poured it into my mug. After adding in the hot water from the electric kettle, I stirred it and headed to the kitchen island and sat down on the stool. 

Caffeine should be able to keep me more awake for six or so hours, before I got a buzz crash and passed out from the lack of sleep. I had to do so many things today - attend important meetings, do my proposal, and many other things. I had to take Elliot to Blake's house for him to babysit him for the day and night; Mikaela and Randy were so inconvenienced every time I asked them to babysit, I could give them a break at last. Also, Blake could become friends with Elliot. 

As I took little sips from my mug, I felt my anxiety decrease. It won't happen, you're overreacting, my brain repeated over and over again in my head. I was just going crazy from everything that had happened in the past few days, and having an over active imagination. 

Darren wasn't going to kidnap me again, Mackenzie was somewhere in this world (probably Alaska or something), and I was going to be a hundred percent safe. Emmalie, Mikaela and Randy were probably just overreacting. 

I snorted to myself - Darren was sane now. He knew that I didn't like him other than in a friend way. He had come to turns with it, and acknowledged it. Right? 

Before I knew it, my mug of cheap coffee was empty, and it was six thirty in the morning, usually the time I awoke and got ready. Was I thinking for that long? This seemed to be happening quite frequently now - I would space out, and hours seemed to become minutes. 

I shuffled towards the bedroom to wake Elliot up so that we could start the day. "Hey, Eli," I tickled his stomach, and after a few tries, he stirred. "I'll give you a few minutes, and then you have to get dressed, okay?"