19

LANE

The dull light slowly crept into my conscious, bringing me away from the deep slumber I had enjoyed. It had been a strangely peaceful sleep, one that I felt like I hadn't had in months. I inhaled deeply, the scent that overtook me being one of familiarity, that caused my eyes to open quickly.

Looking around the room, I felt disoriented and yet comfortable. The same single bed, the same white dresser, the top littered with trinkets and rubbish. On the floor I could see clothing scattered, some spilling out from the closet on the far side of the room. The light in the room was dull, in part thanks to the fact I had pulled the curtains before crawling into the bed. Beyond their protection, I could tell the day was bright, the sun peaking in under the edges.

Again I inhaled, rolling into my back and stretching my arms over my head. Glancing at the clock on my nightstand, I was surprised to see that it was only shortly after nine in the morning. I wasn't usually awake this early without forceful encouragement.

I grinned at the thought, remembering my homecoming the night before.

After spending my final two days in Seattle exploring, photographing, and enjoying the atmosphere, I had brought Harry home with me that Saturday. It was an exciting feeling as we watched New York come into view from the window of the plane, his hand wrapped tightly around mine. I wasn't sure what it was about that moment, or the view, that seemed to evoke such a feeling in both of us. But it would seem we matched in sentiment, as he leaned over kissing my cheek, before whispering 'here we go'.

It was a statement of fact and truth. Because now, it was real. There were no more secrets, no more hiding. We were in the same city, both with jobs, apartments and lives. We couldn't hide from each other with distance and lack of means, being only several blocks from each other in proximity now.  

Neil had asked me how would Harry handle really having me. Both of us in the same city, together, unable to use the distance between us as a buffer. Would he still work so hard with me, when I was a tangible and factual presence. I felt that he would, just as I felt I would. I wanted this to work.

But where the last time we had found ourselves in this similar situation we had been too afraid, too naïve, too...whatever, to make it work. This time, I hoped we knew exactly what we had to do.

I came with Harry back to his apartment, both of us weighted down with his baggage. Stumbling in through the door, he tossed his bags on the floor before looking around with a frown.

"For fuck sake," he complained, kicking his bag further into the space as I followed in behind him. Looking around, I grinned, as I took in the stack of boxes by the couch, each of them labeled as we had done in Seattle, but each with little additional doodles and drawings that I knew for a fact we had not done. Most of them were phalluses.

Harry simply glanced over his shoulder at me, muttering 'Louis must have been here,' before taking the bags I held from me and setting them on the floor.

It was late in the evening, and with the silence of the apartment signaling that Harrys roommate, Niall, was nowhere to be found, we put away his clothing, before going to bed. The next day was spent waking late, doing errands, and returning home well after lunch.

I had stayed for several hours, helping him unpack, getting to know Niall, and even staying for dinner. Of course, Harry wanted me to stay the night again, to which I declined. We had been in each others company for two weeks straight, and although it had been incredible, and passionate, and enthralling, I knew it was time to be me again. The me I was before him, so that I could better appreciate the me I was with him.