Didn't See That one Coming

The drive home from Shay's is a blur. 

Why you ask?

Well, because all I can think about is her lips.

How soft they were, how amazing they felt against my own, and how much I missed them as soon as I left.

And right now at this moment I'd rather be anywhere than here at this dinner table.

Dinner is awkward to say the least, because every time I look at my mother I replay Shay's words in my head. 'It's your mother's secret to tell?'

What secret and what does my mom have to do with Shay's family?

How could I have not known this entire time that my mom had something to do with all this? I thought my dad told her less than he told me...

Or maybe that's what they want me to think?

Maybe I should just ask... ask and see what she says. Maybe I can just gauge her reaction.

"Mom what do you know about Shape shifters?" I ask and then stuff a fork full of turkey into my mouth nonchalantly.

I notice three things happen at once: Drake chokes on whatever he was chewing, Jack looks thoroughly disinterested as she reads her trashy teen novel about whatever trashy teen novels are about and my dad's eyes go wide.

I make a face as I chew my food, tasting it like I've never tasted it before. It's bland, in serious need of some salt or something. I try to hide my revulsion.

"Shape shifters?" She places her fork down on her plate and looks up at me.

"Mhm." I nod. "What do you know about them?"

"Colby?" Drake hisses.

"What?" I shrug at him and turn back to my mother. I'm tired of all this run around bull crap. I want to know what the hell is going on and I want to know now.

"Have you been hanging around with a shape shifter, Colby?" My dad barks, starling everyone at the table.

I narrow my eyes at him then glance briefly at Drake. He's shaking his head, pleading with me not to do this, but why?

"I..." I swallow the lump in my throat. I should just tell them. I should tell them now and get this over with. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? They could forbid you from seeing her that's what! My subconscious makes an appearance. I look at Drake again; his eyes are begging me to be smart. "No," I shake my head. "I was just wondering what mom knew about them. That's all." I lie.

Drake releases a quiet sigh and takes a sip of his water. My dad's eyes soften as he glances over at my mom. She still hasn't said anything. Jack goes back to whatever she was doing on her phone.

"Mom," I say to remind her of my earlier question. She looks nervous. Why would she be nervous?

She glances warily at my dad and for some reason I get an uneasy feeling. "Not much, Colby." She replies, turning her attention back to me. "Only what I've read in books." She adds with a smile. I know that smile, that isn't her genuine smile. That's the smile she reserves for us when she has to lie to us about something. Which means, right now, in this moment... she's lying to me.

"May I be excused?" I ask, pushing back from the table. All of my family members stare at me like I've just sprouted a third eyeball. I just can't be here right now with them. There's too much going on in my head and apparently my mother is a liar.

"But you haven't touched your blood honey." My mother points out.

"I'm not in the mood." I reply quickly. "May I go?" I thumb towards the stairs. My mom and dad share a look before they both turn back to me and nod.