Chapter 16: Betrayed

*Marie's POV*

  As Ella turned out the last light I tried to get comfortable on her couch. But it was close to impossible. My mind kept racing with the thoughts of Seth. I close my eyes shut, but when I do his face appears behind my eye lids. I've never felt this about someone before, what was going on? Was it referred to as 'falling ion love'? It couldn't be. I better not be at least. I would never do that to my best friend. But if it was happening what was I going to tell her. "Oh yeah, by the way. I know we've been best friends for like forever but I have something to say. I've broke all of my promises and I'm in love with your boyfriend. So yeah, I'm taking my you. Oh and how about we go for ice cream? We're still friends right?"

   I think of what I possibly could tell her but it's just so wrong. I keep thinking about that night when the three of us had promised each other that a guy would not ruin our friendship. And if we ever liked the same guy, then none of us would date him, because better to have us go through pain than to have one hurting because the other had them.

  ~Flashback~

    "Okay, next topic. How about boys?" Lily asked looking between Ella and I. The three of us we're all having a sleep over at Lily's place. We were having our usual 'sleepover conversation'. Anything that we wanted to confess and all that girl stuff. But Lily had brought up the topic of boys.

  The thing is, Me and Ella both liked the same guy, Tyler. But we would sometimes get into arguments about who should have him, which wasn't good at keeping a friendship together. I knew Lily wanted us to try to get this under control so we both don't start another argument when Tyler was brought up. I mentally thanked Lily so that me and Ella could somehow get this straight.

  "Well I'll start. I know you and I both like Tyler and it has gotten in the way at times." I say looking at Ella. "But can we stop fighting over him? Please?" I try to propose. But on gladly she smiles and nods.

   "How about this. If two of us ever likes the same guy at the same time we will stay away. So instead of fighting over him and who gets to have him we just leave it alone. No one will get him. No guy should get in the way of our friendship. Deal?" Ella says looking back and forth between me and Lily.

    "Deal." I say with a smile. I lean in for a hug. Ella gratefully returns it and even Lily even joins in.

     "Oh I love you guys!" Lily screams right into my ear. I laugh it off.

 ~end of flashback~

   I sigh as the memory fades away, and so does any sign of tiredness for me. I look up at the ceiling and close my eyes, seeing if I could fall asleep again. That was when I heard it. A loud thumping noise. Like something, very heavy that is, fell.

   I slowly, and quietly, make my way up from the couch and I place my bare feet on the blistering cold floor. What could it be? I make my way over to the window and peer out. I see a moving object, a large object I might add, moving on the lawn.

   I crack the window open to get a better look. That's when I notice that it's Seth. My heart does a little flip as the relization hits.

    "Seth? What are you doing?!" I hiss/ whisper at him. He quickly jumps and looks up to where I am.

     "Oh um..hi, Marie. Yeah I was just um checking to see if you girls got back okay." I turn back to the room seeing that Lily and Ella were still asleep.

      "One sec. I'm coming out." I say, I didn't want to wake them, and I did have to talk to him. I open the window wider and reach out for a banch on the nearest tree.

      "Marie! What do you think you're doing?!" He hisses.

      "What does it look like? I said I was coming out didn't I?" I snap back.

        "Yeah but not that way. Here let me help." When I was halfway down the tree he came up to meet me halfway and he wrapped his arm around my waist to steady me. I took all the strength in me not to melt into his warm touch. When we got to the bottom of the tree he hopped down and held his arms out to catch me next. When I jumped down I landed right on top of him causing him to stumble backwards and I falling on top of him.

    Our faces were so close I could tell that we were moving closer and closer to together. He moving his face closer to me, I in no way stopped him. His lips met mine in a gentle kiss. We both pulled back when we heard,

    "What's going on here?!" I look up seeing that it's Ella. We both jump off the ground and Seth automatically runs towards her. She stops him by putting a hand on his chest when he gets close enough.

     "Stop. I don't need an explantion. I just need to know why. Why would you? You of all people Marie. And Seth?! I thought I trusted you." And with that she ran off to the front of the house, where I knew she would run through the front door and up the starts to her room. Which was bound to wake Lily up.

       "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean for any of this to happen. I-" I cut Seth off with a stern look.

       "It's alright. And I should be the one that's sorry. I'll um, go talk to her. Maybe you should go." I suggest. He nods, and with that he runs into the woods. I watch the area in which he ran and sighed sinking to the ground. What have I done?

  *Ella's POV*

   I was awoken by  a scratching sound coming from right outside my window. I look over to the corner of my room , seeing that Lily was still fast asleep I turn to my couch. Seeing it empty I went over to the window to inspect if the noise I heard was caused by Marie.

  As I peer over the window sill I could see her scaling down the old oak tree on the side of my house. What the hell was she doing? I laugh to my self as an idea came to mind. I quickly run over to my bedroom door and grabbing my shoes on the way I run down my steps and out my front door.

   I quietly walk towards the side of my house. I giggle to myself as I think about what I was going to do. I was going to sneak up on her and scare her, perfect plan. I was always one for fun.

   But when I finally make it to the side of the house I stop in my tracks. The sight in front of my was utterly unbelievable.My best friend was kissing my boyfriend.

    "What's going on here?!" I shout. They quickly stand up, noticing that they were caught in the act.Not needing anything else to confirm my insecurities before I say, "Stop. I don't need an explantion. I just need to know why. Why would you? You of all people Marie. And Seth?! I thought I trusted you."  And with that I feel the tears coming. I don't need to be looked at as weak so I quickly make my way back to my room.

   When I get to my room I fall onto my bed, my body ricking with sobs. And I know that Lily is now awake when I feel and hear her soothing me.