Chapter 10

Chris was there, by my side, caressing my head being extremely careful. The paramedics had given him a piece of cloth to clean the blood of my face. I didn't know I was bleeding in the first place.

"Tell me something to distract me from the pain, please," I requested Chris.

He had a sad/worried look on his face, he was in his sweatpants and a zipped-up grey hoodie. "Okay my little friend, I woke up today at 6 to go to the gym and saw the news of the sub line, that's why I called you," he explained. "And thanks to God I called because if I hadn't done it in that moment I wouldn't be here with you," he smiled weakly.

We heard more ambulances coming and both sighed in relief. I opened my eyes again and saw Chris' hoodie blood-stained. I opened my eyes even wider and Chris noticed it. He looked down and saw what I saw. "It's nothing, don't worry, please," he said caressing my hand.

"Good morning Miss., we're going to take you to the hospital," the new paramedic said. He checked my vital signs and examined my whole body. "Okay, we have to immobilise your neck and your head, your upper body and your legs, just in case, but they look fine".

"Okay," I tried to nodded but winced at the pain I felt.

"That's why we're securing your neck, it's called cervical fracture, but you'll be perfectly okay," the paramedic said with a reassuring look while tying me up to the stretcher. "Don't worry".

I was shocked by what I heard, Chris looked astonished too. My neck was broken and by the pain I could feel on my left arm I guessed it was broken too. "Damn," I cursed as they accommodated my accidented body into the ambulance.

I told Chris to please call my mum to tell her what had happened.

"Good morning, Mrs. Hamilton, It's Chris," he spoke once my mum answered the call.

"Hello Chris, I'm not Hamilton anymore but it doesn't matter," my mum giggled. Chris gave me a 'why you didn't tell me' and I would have laughed if I could move my face. "Is Anna okay?"

"I'm sorry ma'am, Anna is okay, she had an accident but she's perfectly okay, we're on an ambulance to the hospital," Chris wasn't calmed at all, and I'm afraid my mum noticed his concern. This man is not good at hiding his emotions.

"Oh my God, is she okay?" My mum freaked out. "Can she speak? Put her on the phone!" I heard my mum yelling at Chris. He tapped the speaker button.

"Hey mum, it's me," I tried to sound happy. "A truck crashed my bus but I'm okay I think I just broke my arm".

"Anna my baby, how could that happen," I swear she was about to cry. "I'm going to book a flight right now!"

What? "Mum no, what are you thinking?" I asked. "I'm a grown-up girl with a broken arm that will heal in 2 weeks, I'm fine mum, please don't worry more than you already are!"

"But who will take care of you?" She asked worried.

"I will, Mrs., I will take care of her," Chris suddenly answered. I looked at him in disbelief. "So, don't worry, don't book anything, she will be fine and I promise you to keep you posted on how Anna is recovering. Sounds fair?"

The paramedic who was with us at the back of the ambulance was starstruck with Chris, and after he said that, the guy did an 'aww' gesture, gaining a giggle from my mouth.

"Chris, you're so kind but we don't want to bother you, you must be busy," my mum tried to get rid of the offer.

Chris chuckled. "You're not bothering, I would love to spend the whole day with Anna," Chris smiled at me. "I'm not busy when a friend needs my help".