Chapter Five

The day to leave soon arrived and, although us three teenagers insisted on using magical ways of getting to Diagon Alley, the adults decided that the only way for us to really get the "real" feeling of "going back to hogwarts" was to take the scenic route and so we all crammed ourselves into two cars; one of them was Michael's (he loved driving, he loved the rush of it when you went too fast; that's also why he loved quidditch so much) and the other was just a family one. Me, Sirius and James were in one car with Mr Potter and the rest, in the other car.

"Ok, Fleamont, I'll see you in a couple of hours." Mrs. Potter said, kissing her husband on the cheek.

"Wish me luck." He smiled and nodded towards James and Sirius who were shoving each other already over who called shotgun first. 

"Kids sit in the back." He said, pointing towards the back seat.

"Kids?" I scoffed, narrowing my eyes.

"Yeah, me being the oldest that would make you two the kids." Sirius explained, pointing to me and James.

"I called shotgun, Padfoot! You can't argue shotgun rules!" James shouted. "Courtney, back me up." Both boys looked at me expectantly.

"You can't argue shotgun rules." I sighed, supporting James.

"That's a biased opinion." Sirius insisted. 

"You wouldn't be saying that if I would've sided with you." I argued, deciding to settle myself into the back seat. 

Eventually, Sirius joined me and we were soon on the road. It didn't take long for him to settle his feet into my lap.

"Get off me." I told him and he pouted at me. I shoved his feet off instead.

"You don't like feet or something?" He raised an eyebrow.

"I don't like you." I said with a smile.

"You've said that too many times this week for it to be true." He laughed, rolling his eyes at me but returning his feet to his side of the car. 

"That doesn't make sense." I snapped and he pursed his mouth, obviously holding something back. I decided to tune out from him and listen to the conversation in the front.

"- that's what girls go for at your age." Mr Potter was telling his son. "Isn't that right, Courtney?" He had noticed I was leaning forward to listen.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Girls your age like to see a little bit of maturity." He repeated.

"Yeah, they do." I agreed, squeezing James's shoulders in front of me.

"I always thought they liked a winning smile and a nice head of hair." Sirius piped up, flashing me a grin.

"That only gets you so far, son." Mr Potter laughed. "You have to work a little bit."

"Especially for a girl like Lily." I sang, teasing James.

"Don't I know it!" James cried, shaking his head. "This year will be the year, though. I know it."

"The year that..." I urged him to continue.

"The year that she realises that it's me she wants!" He yelled with conviction. I was doubtful, though I knew that Lily was not totally honest about her feelings towards James. 

"We'll see." I told him, wanting nothing but him and Lily to be with the kind of people they deserved. 

After that, I slept for most of the car journey. It was a long drive and I didn't want to suffer through boredom at any point of it. I woke up as we approached London and was filled with excitement at the thought of seeing Lily again. We, eventually, all departed the car and dragged our trunks with us. After a few minutes of walking we reached the wall and James stepped up and tapped the bricks in all the right places. He was obviously just as eager to see Lily as I was. As soon as there was the slightest gap that James could fit into he slid through with his trunk on his head and with Sirius at his heels. By the time me and Mr. Potter had gotten through the wall all we could see were two bobbing trunks heading towards the Leaky Cauldron. Me and Mr. Potter just smiled at each other with knowing looks and followed in their footsteps.