chapter twelve

Scott sat in the apartment that Stiles and Lydia shared. He was flipping through the television channels as Stiles was trying to find the connections between the new demon problem. Stiles closed the several books he was reading then sat next to Scott on the couch, "None of this is making sense."

"Nothing that we do makes sense." Scott shrugged then decided to shut off the television, "Honestly, I'm really worried. You know what happened the last time we had to deal with demons."

"Right, the Oni." Stiles nodded. That didn't seem like it was a few years ago, everything still felt new to him whenever he though back to the time when the pack was dealing with a Void and the Oni. "When I got possessed and Allison...."

Stiles didn't bother trying to finish the sentence. He knew that Scott was fully aware of where the sentence was heading. Scott let out a heavy sigh, "If I couldn't protect Allison from the Oni than how am I suppose to protect people from an army of demons?"

"We'll find a way to stop this, Scott." Stiles said as he attempted to comfort his best friend, "We always do."

~-~-

Blair opened her locker and stuffed her pre-calculus textbook inside along with her three subject notebook that was filled with her AP European History notes. It was free period which meant it was Blair's last period. She was able to go home if she wanted to, but Blair wanted to study at the library for upcoming tests and work on essays.

She looked down the hallway as Brooklyn was talking to a few girls on the cheer team. It was weird seeing Brooke with other people. For the longest time it was always Blair and Brooklyn. Now Brooke was starting to hang out with other girls on the cheer team and Blair spent more time with Mason and Liam. Only a few days passed since the fallout, but it felt longer. 

"Heading to the library?" The familiar voice of Liam Dunbar asked and Blair looked over. He had has backpack with him and wore a slight smile on his face.

"Yeah, I have work to do. What about you?"

"I'm meeting Mason there. You're going to sit with us, right?"

"Obviously." Blair then nodded before closing her locker. "Let's go."

"Wait." Liam said and stopped Blair. "I have a question."

"For the last time, Liam, I have no clue why Captain America and Iron Man are going to have a fight in the next-"

"Actually, that's not that question." Liam cut Blair off short and she then wore a look of satisfaction on her face.

"Then what's the question?" 

"I was wondering if maybe, sometime, we could possibly go out for lunch or something." Liam shrugged and sounded like he was trying not to stumble on his words. 

Blair laughed, "Sure. Why not? It could be fun."

"Wait, seriously?" Liam asked as she walked next to Blair in the hallway and was surprised by how easy it was.

"Yeah, I'm fine with it. Just tell me the day." Blair smiled then opened the library doors, "Now we need to shut up since the librarian is strict and also scares me a little."

~-~-

Blair sat at a circular table with Liam and Mason. She was studying for an upcoming chemistry test and felt herself growing more and more tired every minute. She was outlining notes from her textbook to her notebook and also answering questions from the study guide. One of her dark blue pens already ran out of ink because of the work she's been doing.

Brooklyn was sitting on the other side of the library by herself. Usually, Blair would be with Brooklyn and they would be studying together. But things were clearly different between them now.

"What's going on with you and Brooklyn? This is the farthest away that I've ever seen you from each other." Mason whispered and Blair put down her pen.

"She thinks I'm lying to her... and she's not wrong. She's refusing to talk to me until I tell her the truth."

"Well are you going to tell her?" Mason questioned and Blair shrugged.

"I don't know yet." She looked back at her chemistry study guide and began putting check marks besides the topics she's already covered. A short time later, an announcement was being made throughout the school.

"As this time, our school is now under lock down. We have an unknown and unwanted person on our school grounds that's posing a threat. Please go to the nearest classrooms and do the lock down procedure until further instruction." The Principal's voice said and everyone ran to hide behind the librarian's desk as she closed the shades and locked the doors. 

Blair, Mason, and Liam all exchanged glances. They knew what the unwanted person was and knew that it was a demon disguised in a human body. Blair scanned the area where all the students were hiding and tilted her head, "Where's Brooklyn?"

"She signed out of the librarian like a minute before the announcement came on. She probably went to the bathroom." One of the guys replied and Blair turned to Liam.

"I need to get her."

"Blair-" Liam began saying but she got up and pushed past the librarian who was in the process of making her way to the front doors to lock it. Blair ignored all the voices talking to her and ran to the nearest bathroom. She stopped in one of the corners and listened for any sound.

Surely, Blair heard Brooklyn in the bathroom because of heavy breathing and a fast heart beat. Blair inched her way closer to the bathroom and saw the demon inside, observing the bathroom. She heard Brooklyn yell then Brooklyn's scared tone of voice turn to confusion as she spoke, "Caleb?"

Blair stopped dead in her tracks. She felt herself froze as she heard the familiar name. Years have passed since she's heard the name Caleb. Caleb was Brooklyn's older brother but committed suicide over two years ago. Hearing the sound of Brooke's scream broke Blair from her thoughts and Blair ran inside the bathroom. She kicked the demons back the scratched it's back with her claws.

"Brooklyn, go!" Blair yelled. Blair saw the blood falling from Brooklyn's thigh as she began running out of the bathroom. The demon got back up, continuing to pursue the fight with Blair.

As Brooklyn banged on the library door and held her thigh to try and slow down the bleeding, Liam got up from where he was sitting and pulled off the library door handle to let Brooklyn in. Tears were falling from her eyes and people rushed to her help. Liam ran out to the hallway and saw the flashing of Blair's eyes banish the demon from the resurrected body.

"Is Brooklyn okay?" Blair asked and turned back to her human form. 

"I don't know. All I saw was the bloody gash on her leg." Liam replied.

"You call Scott. I need to check on Brooklyn." Blair ran back to the library and pushed her way through the people. A sweatshirt was tied on her thigh along with a belt. Several people were calling the cops and Blair sat next to Brooklyn. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." Brooklyn replied in a whisper, "But if you're wondering, I won't tell your secret. I don't what that was or even who you are anymore. Whatever happened to you, you aren't the Blair that I know. Thank you for saving me, but for now on stay the hell away from me."

-----------

Well. I guess we can say goodbye to the Blair and Brooklyn friendship. But it can't be truly over, can it? They're Blair and Brooklyn. Nothing should be able to break them apart. But hey, at least we have a Bliam date coming up soon!!

Nine Lives has over 900 reads!! Thank you guys so much! That's crazy. I'm so glad that so many people like this story. Also, remember to checkout Blair and Brooke's outfits on my polyvore which is 'teenwxlves'

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! I enjoyed writing it and thank you all so much for reading!