22: Friends

"Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you haven't really learnt anything." -Muhammad Ali

Ellie's POV

How long were they going to keep me in here? I'd given my statement and they knew everything I did, so why couldn't I leave now? I wanted to see how Tommy was. Was he even alive? The thought sent goosebumps up my arms and I shivered. I'd never be able to live with myself if I knew he had died because of me.

They all probably hated me now for what I had put them through, I never should have gone to that apartment all those months ago. I was cursed and I just hurt anyone who tried to help me.

Now I truly was alone.

Things happened fairly quickly once Tommy had been shot. Aaron got a hold of George's gun and made sure George stayed put until the police came. The ambulance took Tommy away, with Olivia staying with him. I'd been taken down for questioning and was told that George, also known as Darren, had been charged with numerous crimes. Whatever happened to him, jail or mental institution, I knew he'd never be let out in public again.

He could no longer hurt me.

He never did intend on going to Australia with me, it was all lies. He booked one plane ticket, which meant that he intended on having sex with me and then killing me. His calm, nice attitude was all a facade. It made no sense for him to be kind towards me if he was just going to murder me, but I guess I didn't really know what was going on in that sly mind of his.

I wasn't sure if I believed anything he told me. Did Blake really give him money to stay away from me? Did he abuse Lindsy too? What other secrets was he keeping?

There was one thing that kept picking at my brain: his name was Darren. What was his second name? Now, I'm positive there are many people with that name, but surely it couldn't be a coincidence that I knew someone called Darren when I was younger and we lost contact.

His name was Darren Wood and I was in love with him, but one day, he stopped talking to me and I never heard from him since. You're probably asking yourself, if it was the same Darren, you'd recognise him however that wasn't the case. I met Darren in an online chat room; I'd never seen his face before. But we talked every day for 3 years. The last time I heard from him was on my 14th birthday.

No. It couldn't be him. Plus, the Darren I knew was nothing like George. It would be impossible.

A few seconds later, the door opened and the person who was questioning me walked in. She was a slim woman, presumably in her late 30s, and had short brown hair with chocolate coloured eyes to match.

"Sorry to keep you, Miss Watson. You are now free to go." She smiled, opening the door out wide for me.

I stood up from my chair and walked towards the door when I remembered something.

"My suitcase with all my stuff in, it was in his bedroom. Where is it?" I asked her.

"All items in Mr Wood's house are off limits, I'm afraid. I don't think you'll be able to get them back." She informed me. "Although we did manage to retrieve your purse which is at the front desk."

Well, great. Not only did I not have a place to live because they all probably despised me, I didn't have any belongings either.

Or a phone.

"For fuck's sake." I muttered under my breath.

George might as well have killed me, I didn't have anything to live for anyway. The only thing keeping me going was knowing that I at least had some money in my bank account owing to my job and benefits from the government. I could just stay in and bed and breakfast until I found some place else.