11: Karma Isn't Real

Thanks to Beliebectioner24 for the awesome cover to the top or the side :)

"A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal." -Steve Maraboli

Job hunting wasn't going too well and I was extremely bored being cooped up in that apartment on my own. Yes, alone. Aaron was spending the day with Lindsy doing whatever it was couples did on dates these days.

He hadn't spoken to me since we left the store room and I assumed it was because he felt awkward from our near kiss. Well, you know what, fuck Aaron. I didn't need him and his complicated feelings. My life was confusing enough and I didn't need another boy coming along and messing things up.

Currently, I was in the park of all places. I didn't know why but I was kind of just lured their by my mind. I got the idea that it'd be a peaceful place to get some artwork done.

I was sitting at a wooden bench with my sketch pad and pencil in hand. So far, I'd only managed to capture the fine strands of grass in my drawing. I was going to work on drawing the bench opposite me however there was a homeless man sleeping on it with nothing but a thin jacket to cover him as a blanket. I pitied the fellow and dug in my pocket for some change.

I had £7 on me. Not an extravagant amount of money but it'd be better off spent on the poor invalid with a bench to call his home than on me.

I looked up to find the man had fallen on the floor and was dusting himself off. I put my paper and pencil on the bench and went to go and help him.

"Are you okay?" I asked, concerned as I helped him up.

"Phenomenal." He deadpaned, standing up and dusting himself off.

My eyes met his and recognition crossed both of our faces and I immediately regretted helping this barbaric waste of space.

"Eleanor, right?" He wondered.

"Ellie." I corrected. "And you're the rapist."

"People like to call me Spencer." He replied. "And I didn't do anything to Olivia. You have to believe me when I say that I was drunk and I didn't know what I was doing. I truly am sorry, I'm not a low life. I swear."

I couldn't believe I was actually living in the room where he used to live; sleeping in the same bed as the neanderthal who tried to take advantage of my best friend.

"Also, I didn't mean to scare you the other day. I had no clue you were in my room, well, your room now." He frowned.

I studied him and came to the conclusion that Spencer was absolutely harmless. He was dressed in the same attire he was last time we encountered which only made me feel sorry for his misfortune. Not only did he look innocent, he sounded sincere and apologetic. However, that didn't mean I would forget how brutally he treated my friend. The notion that he was drunk didn't justify the fact that if Tommy hadn't walked in, Spencer surely would have raped Olivia.

That was so not cool.

"Whatever." I shrugged and began to walk away before he grabbed my elbow.

"Please, I'm desperate. I don't have anywhere to go. Help me." The look of pure desperation and fear that was etched across his face stung at my heart strings.

"How do you have nowhere to go?" I was curious.

"I got kicked out of university and someone stole my belongings a few days ago whilst I was sleeping. I have no money and I can't go back home to my parents because that'd be admitting defeat." His tone was laced with sadness and my heart leaped for him.