16: The Date

"Ostranenie: Noun, encouraging people to see common things as strange, wild, or unfamiliar; defamiliarising what is known in order to know it differently or more deeply."

"Charlie? As in lead singer of Dancing with Elephants, Charlie?" Olivia gawped.

"The very same one." I nodded with a slight laugh at her amazement.

We were both currently in my room and I was leafing through my extremely dysfunctional wardrobe. I had no clue where we were going so wasn't too sure what would be the most suitable attire to wear. A blend between casual and classy was my aim which was almost impossible with my clothes.

"I thought you liked Aaron?" Olivia asked.

"Yeah, but guess what? He basically told me to go out with Charlie and said that he was going out with some other girl." I explained, still a little hurt even though I was being completely stupid.

"Dick head." Olivia muttered under her breath, shaking her head.

Aaron's date was tonight as well with his mystery girl. He had gotten over Lindsy fairly easily, well, I guess it had been two months and this was his first date since.

"Liv, all my clothes are awful, I don't know what to wear!" I dramatically sighed. "Help me."

"Follow me." She stood up and stalked out of my room, with me trailing swiftly behind.

She threw the door to her room open and began looking through her drawers and rummaging around in her wardrobe. I sat down on the edge of her bed and let her look for whatever she was attempting to find.

A few moments later she retrieved a light blue dress and a pair of silver flats and a silver necklace.

"Wear these. It's simple yet elegant. So, unless he's taking you hiking up a mountain or bungee jumping, I think these will be more than fine." Olivia handed me the items.

"Are you sure?" I questioned.

"Certain." She smiled.

God, I loved Olivia.

"Thank you!" I enveloped her in a cringe worthy hug and dramatically kissed her on the cheek. "You're the best."

"Who are you, and what have you done with Ellie?" She laughed. "Ellie doesn't do thank you or hugs and kisses."

"I'm a changed woman, Olivia Parker." I grinned widely. "Love ya!"

I skipped back to my room and slipped on my outfit. I was feeling really optimistic about this date and hoped it went well. I wanted to get over Aaron and live a normal life. I wanted a boyfriend.

I know it's bad, isn't it? Women don't need men just as much as they don't need us. Both genders are strong, independent people. A girl doesn't need a boy to make them happy which was certainly proven by the fact that I was single and considerably happy for once. But...I missed the comfort of having someone who, you know, loves you. George never loved me and Blake- God rest his soul- never showed me any affection.

I just wanted a boy to love me.

If that's pathetic then I don't care. I'm pathetic then.

Olivia knocked on my door a few minutes later wanting to see my appearance. I had put my hair in a side fishtail plait and had applied a minimal amount of make up (just some lip gloss and mascara).

"Are you decent?" Olivia asked.

"Yeah." I called to her and she opened the door.

"Good, because he's here." She revealed.