Chapter 27

“Are you asking me out on a date, Draco?” Hermione teased.

Malfoy sputtered.

“Calm down, Draco. It was a joke. Let’s go.” Hermione snickered.

She grabbed his arm and pulled him along with her until they got outside. She laughed as they disapparated. They were flung onto the cobblestone streets of London a few moments later. Malfoy fell onto Hermione, knocking the wind out of her.

“Oomf!” She bellowed.

Malfoy clumsily stood up.

“Sorry, Hermione!” He nearly screamed.

She stood up, swaying a bit from lack of balance. She steadied herself and grinned goofily.

“It’s ok. I’m fine.” She walked into the Leaky Cauldron.

Draco hesitated. He watched her walking in, transfixed once again. It was amazing, the effect she had on him. He smiled and walked in behind her. It was déjà vu as he entered the Leaky Cauldron, memories of their last trip together flooding his mind.

It was just as musty and familiar as the last time. Malfoy took in the pub fondly. He really did feel at home here, for some reason. He looked over to the bar and saw Tom there, polishing a mug. He grinned a toothless smile at him, and Malfoy felt a bit uncomfortable. He looked away, feeling awkward.

“Come on, Draco!” Hermione said impatiently.

She was already waiting at the back, tapping her foot in a fast rhythm. Her hand was on her hip, her impatience cute to him.

“Sorry…” he muttered and jogged to her.

He smiled to himself.

“Coming.” He called.

It pleased him to know that she was excited about it. He found himself grinning when her back was turned.

“Draco, come on.” He scolded himself silently.

“It’s Hermione bloody Granger, Goody Gryffindor.” He thought.

He put on a sneer so that she wouldn’t see through his carefully composed poker face. He couldn’t let her see that he was looking forward to it. When he got outside, Hermione was already tapping the necessary bricks to get into Diagon Alley.

“Finally.” She huffed.

Draco rolled his eyes.

“Just get on with it, Granger.”

The bricks rearranged to reveal the archway to the magical area. Malfoy looked at Hermione sideways, and saw a smile on her face. She was glowing with excitement, not bothering to hide it even in front of him.

“Does it ever amaze you?” She asked in a hushed voice.

Draco really never thought about it. Magic had been a part of his life since he was born. He guessed Granger still wasn’t completely used to it. He couldn’t imagine growing up as a muggle. The concept seemed ridiculous to him. Then again, it seemed to work for Granger.

“Not really.” He replied truthfully.

She sighed.

“Well, it astonishes me. I can’t believe this all exists. It’s the perfect world, and I can’t

believe I grew up without it. It saddens me a little.” She frowned.

Malfoy didn’t like seeing the frown on her face.

“Granger, let’s get out of the pity party and throw down a few butterbeers – it’s been a horrible day.” He suggested.

That brought a smile to her face.