Chapter 18

Malfoy angrily grasped Hermione’s hand and disapparated. Moments later, they were walking into the Ministry. Well, Hermione was walking, Malfoy was nearly sprinting. She ran to keep up with him, growing concerned at the furious look on his face. His blond hair fell into his eyes and swung back and forth with every movement he made. Kendrina was writing on some parchment when Malfoy flew through her door.

She looked up at him, wide-eyed.

“What on Earth are you doing he-”

“There’s been a complication.” He said, just audible enough for Kendrina to hear him.

Panic struck her features.

“What happened?” she asked, a frightening tone replacing her worried one.

Malfoy sucked in a shaky breath and told the story.

“We barely escaped with our lives… If I hadn’t found Granger, we would both be dead.”

Hermione reveled in his compliment, even if it wasn’t said in the nicest of ways. She knew that if they’d been separated much longer, or if Malfoy hadn’t come hurtling in the kitchen to warn her, she’d be dead. It wasn’t just her that saved either of them; it was a team effort. Malfoy was beginning to grow on her, arrogant and sarcastic as he was. She watched him explain to Kendrina, his lips parting in an attractive way. Hermione felt herself lost in his silvery eyes, which were tainted with frustration and worry. Hermione noticed that he was attractive before, but it was their mutual hatred that blinded her from that.

“Ms. Granger…. Ms. Granger?” Kendrina was asking.

Hermione snapped out of her thoughts and said, “Wh-what?”

Kendrina glared.

“I was asking you to describe the men you encountered on your patrol.”

Hermione felt her face grow red as Malfoy looked at her with the same miffed expression.

They must’ve asked her about three times before she realized that they were talking to her.

“Oh, erm, the first one was blonde, and he had a rather large nose. His voice was like a car running out of gas – he rasped a bit.”

Hermione was greeted with confused expressions.

“His voice was like a … what?” Kendrina asked.

It had completely slipped Hermione’s mind that Kendrina and Malfoy weren’t very well

acquainted with muggle contraptions.

“A c- oh, never mind. It was just very raspy.” She finished hastily.

Kendrina’s expression never faltered.

“Mudbloods and their silly customs.” Hermione heard Malfoy mutter under his breath.

“Enough of that, Malfoy. I’ll have you knocked off of this case if you can’t be civil.” Kendrina snapped, her hawk-like eyes boring into him.

Hermione thought that it wouldn’t bother her, but it did. Even after they’d talked a little, he still thought of her as just a mudblood. She sighed and said, “I’ll let Mr. Malfoy finish explaining this to you. There’s paperwork to be done on this.” She left Kendrina’s office without a word.

Hermione wasn’t sure where her feet were taking her, but it wasn’t to her own office. She absent-mindedly strolled through the corridors of the Ministry, until she parked herself in front of a large, mahogany door. The nameplate read, “Harry Potter – Auror; Department of