Chapter 16

Hermione immediately stood up, her head filled with all sorts of worried and scattered thoughts. Malfoy’s face was the same as it’d been before he heard the news. He just calmly stood up next to Hermione and asked, “When do we need to leave?”

“I like you being pro-active, Mr. Malfoy. At your leisure.” She said sarcastically.

“Now, of course, you stupid buffoon.” She added, just to make sure he knew she wasn’t kidding.

Malfoy glared at her angrily and then jerked his head toward Hermione.

“Well? We haven’t got all day.”

They walked out of the office somberly. Neither one of them were looking forward to it as much, anymore.

“Can I stop by my office? I need to get something.” Hermione aksed.

Malfoy rolled his eyes.

“Just don’t take all day, Granger.” He huffed.

She flew down the hall and flung open her door. She closed it behind her and ran over to her chair. She fell into it and began to hyperventilate. It was actually happening. All of the danger that was premeditated was now a reality, and it worried her sick. Her head fell into her hands, and she squeezed her eyes closed tightly.

A knock came at her door after a minute or so.

“Granger, honestly, we have to leave. Stop your pouting and GET A MOVE ON.” Malfoy’s voice was filled with annoyance and anger.

“I can unlock this door, you know. I AM a wizard, after all.”

Hermione just stayed put. A single tear slid from her eye and rested on her cheek. She didn’t know why she was overreacting about it; it just really got to her. She didn’t want anything bad to happen, even though she knew it was an inevitability at this point.

“Alohomora!” Malfoy said.

The door bursted open and Malfoy strode in while putting his wand in his robes. He looked at her curiously.

“Granger, what the he|l are you doing?”

“Just go away for ONE minute, Malfoy.” She said in a muffled voice from behind her hands.

“Oh… Er- ” He realized she was upset, and felt a little bad for being rude.

No, no, he couldn’t feel bad for a mudblood. He shook his head and walked closer to her. He extended his hand awkwardly. Hermione looked up at him, and he saw tears glistening in her eyes. He felt even worse than he did before, and he couldn’t manage trying to take that remorse back. She looked so…sad.

“Come on, Granger.” He said in a less harsh voice.

She looked at his hand. She hesitantly held up her own and grasped it. He pulled her up in one swift motion.

“We have to be there, so let’s get a move on. I’ll leave you alone when we get there so you can, er, clear your head.”

They walked outside so that they could leave. Malfoy looked down at Hermione, then slid his hand into hers. They disapparated. Moments later, they were being flung onto the hard cement of a sidewalk outside of a very suspicious looking place. Hermione landed on top of Malfoy with a thud. She ended up elbowing him in the stomach pretty hard. He gasped for breath while Hermione tried to control her laughter.

“You t-t-t-think this is funny?” he wheezed.

Hermione pressed her hand into her mouth and shook her head, trying to look guilty. It didn’t work. Malfoy drew in a few more breaths, and looked at her with an awkward expression. Hermione realized she was still on top of him. She stood up quickly, hitting her head on a tree branch just a few feet above where they were. She swayed and rubbed her head, cursing under her breath.

“Are you ok, Granger?”

She scowled and winced in pain.

“I’ll take that as a no.”

He stood up, still trying to catch his breath, and pulled out his wand.

“Homenum Revelio ” He said. Nothing happened. He kept his wand at his side and said, “We’d better start.”