Chapter 8

The rest of Hermione’s day was chaos – just as she’d predicted. She knew that she wouldn’t be able to put up with Malfoy, and Ron or Harry – or both of them – would end up either maiming Malfoy or losing their jobs. The ONE time she got an opportunity, something had to go wrong to mess it up. By the time she got home, she was nearly sick from all of the stress.

She hung her robes up by the front door and fell into the armchair by her television.

Every single one of Hermione’s thoughts were tainted with Malfoy. She didn’t know how she would go through with this. It was so bad to the point of her contemplating on quitting her job. She loved her job more than anything, and she wasn’t going to let some ignorant, cold-hearted pure-blood ruin that for her.

It was still early, so she thought she’d visit the burrow for dinner. She got her cloak, cooked a few pies with her wand, and disapparated.

Though it was nearing six o’ clock, it was still daylight outside. Hermione walked carefully up to the front door of the burrow. She feared that with her headache and dizziness she would fall. She knocked twice and waited for someone to answer.

“Hermione!” Ginny said excitedly as she pulled open the door and hugged Hermione tightly.

“All right there, Ginny? Where are Harry and Ron at?”

“They’re at the table. They told us the er – exciting news.” Ginny looked sympathetic.

“Yes, Ron and Harry aren’t exactly pleased with our situation. But, what’s done is done, and we’ll have to deal with it like grown-ups, I guess.” Hermione rolled her eyes.

“Well, if anyone can do it, YOU can.” Ginny smirked.

Hermione laughed warmly.

“Ginny, you have too much faith in me.”

Hermione stepped inside and was immediately welcomed by the aromatic smells of Mrs. Weasley’s amazing cooking. Even though Hermione cooked the same way, Mrs. Weasley seemed to make everything better, somehow.

“Hermione! How are you, dear?” Mrs. Weasley pulled her into a choking hug.

“Same as usual, Molly.” She offered the pies.

“Oh, you’re too kind.” Mrs. Weasley smiled at her with twinkling eyes. “Ron and Harry are in the living room, if you’d like to join them.”

Hermione nodded and walked towards the small sitting area. Harry and Ron were in deep conversation, oblivious to their surroundings. Hermione cleared her throat.

“Hermione, are you alright?” Harry looked up at her with a surprised expression.

“I’ll be fine. I’m more worried about you two.” She sat down next to Ron.

“I hope he gives me a reason…” Ron muttered angrily.

“Ron, you can’t be looking for fights, it’s only going to make things worse on everyone.”

“He called you a mudblood!” He nearly shouted.

“And? That comes as a shock to you? Honestly Ron, he could have said a lot worse. We’re going to have to get used to this. We have to work with him for a month.”

“Maybe longer than that.” Harry said stoically.

“The point is, we can’t let simple things get to us. Besides, we’re going to have a team of other people than Malfoy. I’m pretty sure we won’t be stuck listening to his snide remarks alone.”

That brought some comfort to Hermione. At least she wasn’t alone. They were all silent for a few minutes. Ron was seething and muttering to himself.