chapter fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

"My dear welcome back!" Ella was engulfed in a bear hug by Idad as soon as the door flew open, it felt so good to be held with such love and affection it was something she really needed and she couldn't be more grateful. Ella didn't realize how much she missed the old woman. "How was your trip? Did you enjoy yourself?" Idad pulled back, her eyes dancing with mirth waiting for Ella's reply.

It had never occurred to Ella how hard it would be to try to get Idad off her case and she wondered how long she'd have to pretend to be thrilled until she could get to her room where she would lick her wounds in private. Thinking back, she actually had fun but then that one night ruined everything. After her fitting reply to Dylan's confession, the ride back to the hotel was suffocating. She had stubbornly refused to speak to him even now she just wanted him to disappear.

She snapped out of her thoughts as she realised that Idad was waiting patiently for her reply so she mustered up the biggest smile she could and said, "I had so much fun Idad. Although I'm sorry you couldn't join us."

"Pftt what are you saying? I'm just doing fine here on my own and I think it's quite romantic to get to be in the city of lovers. I hear there's a bridge solely for lovers where you get to lock your love for eternity with a padlock. Did you do it?" Just then Ella caught a glimpse of Dylan from her pheripheral as he got closer to the door and didn't miss the way his body tensed up mirroring her own reaction obviously having heard what Idad said, she had no doubt that his thoughts would've wondered back to that awful moment last night.

"How are you Idad?" He came up to the door quickly in an attempt to save Ella from further discomfort. He placed a kiss on both of Idad's cheeks and gave her a million dollar smile, his eyes danced with mirth and she could tell how much affection he has for the woman.

"Oh, I was just about to ask about you."

"You always think of me as an after thought."

"You can't blame me for saving the best for last now can you."

"Really?"

"Really." Ella watched their light banter a ghost of a smile making its way to her own lips. They looked so happy that she wished she could unwind too but she felt physically, mentally and emotionally drained that all she wanted to do was crawl into bed and have a long nap, she had trouble falling asleep last night the incident kept replaying itself as though someone had pressed the rewind button, it felt like the familiar buzz of caffeine after three cups of black coffee.

"Oh dear you don't look too good." Idad observed a moment later. "You must be tired. Perhaps you should go get some rest I'll inform you when dinner's ready."

"Thanks Idad."

Ella was left to make the tedious journey up the long flight of stairs. She twisted the knob and pushed the door open only stopping long enough to kick her shoes off her feet and the pearls around her throat. Not bothering at all with her dress, she collapsed onto the bed feeling extremely drained and lightheaded it didn't help that so many thoughts kept swirling in her mind making the throbbing in her head return with a vengeance, the intensity enough to make her a scatter brain, tossing her thoughts all over the place to the point she didn't know what she was thinking of. Her face was drained of all colour and beads of sweat covered her forehead. She closed her eyes, pushing all disturbing thoughts aside and drifted into the most deepest slumber she'd ever had in a while.

"Thank you." Dylan murmured, clutching the handle of the mug Idad had dropped infront of him. He brought the steaming mug up slowly to his lips and took a sip of the black liquid gazing out the window, he couldn't see much because of the torrential rain pouring outside. Idad wouldn't let him be, told him she didn't believe the charade they were putting up, she grilled him of every bit of truth; the reason they got married, his revenge, and all that happened in Paris. Idad listened to him, didn't judge him and she'd shown him so much support he didn't think he deserved it.