chapter nine

CHAPTER NINE

Skyline Hotels' forty storeys rose before him as the valet got the door and he stepped out onto the marbled corridor.

Dylan Vergara was a man of little words as his eyes would've said everything else.

He considered himself lucky, no privileged to have such a huge legacy. He was everything like his father and nothing like his mother; nothing except for his cockiness and arrogance.

Doors were opened for him as he made his way into the elegant building dipping his head in response to greetings directed at him.

It was his keenness for sophistication that led him to Savannah, she was an epitome of beauty. It wasn't love at first sight, but his heart went out to her and one look into those gold-sparkling eyes drown him.

They were the perfect couple or so he'd thought until she became too ambitious, sometimes Dylan wondered if he'd done anything out of the ordinary and it was after she cheated that he was sure he had been the only one who cared about the relationship enough to get hurt.

And of all people, why did it have to be his best friend?

Dylan sighed, shaking his head together with all thoughts of Savannah.

He dipped his head once more at a passing employee. Some of them were fascinated by the elegant and deft way he handles things and thought it quite impressive for someone as young as he. Dylan had been raised and groomed for this as were all Vergara predecessors.

Theirs was a family of business men and politicians. Skyline had been handed down in five generations already and hopefully it'll make it through ten and even a hundred.

Jason paused just outside his father's office at RS&C contemplating on tapping at the large oak door or turning round to go back and forget why he came. He was afraid of the reception he might get here after the one he got since he came back from L.A

In spite of his anger, Ricardo Roxas wouldn't deny that he's his son, and as a Roxas, he's entitled to some privileges. But all he's ever wanted was his father's approval and a chance to prove himself worthy of the Roxas name.

Jason licked his lips nervously before raising a knuckle to rap on the door but it flew open before he did and Andy emerged, a stern look on his fine chiselled face.

There was not the slightest indication to prove that there was any hint of friendship between the two men. Andy inherited their father's cruel heart while Jason got his mother's coolness which was seen as a weakness by Ricardo.

Both men have the same warm brown eyes and short black hair, Andy's three years older and an inch taller than Jason.

Even though words were unspoken, the enmity between these brothers hung eerily in the atmosphere. Andy walked away but not without throwing his brother the I'm-watching-you sign. Jason did not understand why Andy was suddenly so unapproachable because when they were younger their relationship was okay until his brother began to work for his father. Jason pursed his lips and tapped on the door before he eased it open at his father's command.

''Oh Jason, what a surprise. I would've been glad to see you if you were half the son I wanted you to be.''

Jason chewed at the insides of his cheek before raising a defiant chin. The man could have hidden his distaste but no, he was always direct and straight to the point that made Jason wonder if he was ever lonely. His father was a brute he knew that and he prayed to God to not have inherited any of his distasteful traits.