It's like Catching Lightening - Lashton/Malum

This story is boyxboy. I personally do not ship the boys in this way, but a guilty pleasure of mine is to read them. This is one of my most favs.
Credit to: korrrriiii on ao3

------------------------------------------------------

"There was another sighting of the wolves," is the first thing that Calum says to Luke when he pops up at his locker that morning.

Luke rolls his eyes, emptying his backpack of the textbooks he doesn't need and grabbing his geography folder. "Well hello to you too, I'm fine, thanks for asking," he says sarcastically.

Calum glares at him. "This is serious, Luke! They said this one was the biggest yet."

Luke scoffs, ruffling his hand through his blond hair. "They say that about every single spotting, Cal, it's not that special anymore."

Calum hits his chest, pouting at him. "Luke, stop joking about this! Here, look." He pulls out his phone and shoves it into Luke's face, watching him expectantly.

Luke's eyebrows furrow, him pulling the phone closer, squinting at the image.

He has to admit that the wolf is beautiful, thick tawny fur and strong limbs. There's a certain intelligence and awareness in its eyes, like there's more to it than Luke knows. It's bigger than any of the other wolves sighted, in a way that Luke probably only comes up to just below its chest, though it doesn't mean much considering how small Luke is.

The thing that strikes him, though, is the familiar, gorgeous hazel eyes. He swears he's seen them before, and not in the wolf's face staring back at him.

"Impressive," is all he says when he hands the phone back to Calum, who snorts and reaches out to gently slap Luke's cheek.

Calum opens his mouth to say something, most likely some kind of retort about Luke 'not being a believer', when an upperclassman brushes past them, deliberately knocking Luke's shoulder as hard as he can. Looking up, he can see that it's Mark, the person who strives to make his life a living hell.

As if sensing the eyes on him, Mark turns to give him a cruel smirk, spreading his arms out. "What are you gonna do about it, huh?" The 'fag' is a silent tack-on, and Luke knows that if there weren't so many teachers around, he'd be pummelled into the lockers.

Calum nudges his side, jerking his head to show that they needed to get to class right then or else they'd be late. Luke just glares at Mark and rolls his eyes, side-stepping the bigger, older boy.

In a flash, however, Mark has his fingers wrapped around Luke's upper arm, pressing hard enough that Luke will have bruises for days. Luke winces, squirming in pain, trying to get away. The older boy dips his head down, eyes fiery when he sneers, "Watch the attitude, runt."

Luke arches back as much as he absolutely can, but Mark has him caught. He's not getting away any time soon. The older boy realises this, chuckling lowly as he steps closer. "Looks like you're all alone."

Luke senses a presence coming up behind them, though he's still not looking up, determined to keep from getting too badly hurt today. He doesn't want to come home covered in blood and bruises again, not when his mom is already so worried about him.

The presence clears their throat, and both Mark and Luke look up to see Ashton Irwin glaring at the elder boy, arms crossed over his chest, muscles bulging against the sleeves of his shirt. Michael Clifford stands behind his shoulder, face as stony as Ashton's.

He doesn't say anything, merely fixes Mark with eyes like flint. Mark doesn't release Luke immediately, even attempts to finish what he started, but then Ashton lets out a fierce sound, almost like a growl, and Mark loosens his grip enough to where Calum can grip Luke's shoulder and pull him away, protectively folding around him to keep the eyes off of him.