Chapter 14: Collateral Damage

Jo's POV

"So where are we headed?" Ric asked as we piled into the car, "Denver." I said softly once I'd started driving and noticed that Elena was already falling asleep in the seat behind me. Damon was sitting next to her and Alaric was in the passenger seat next to me. "What's all that stuff in the trunk?" Asked Damon as I looked at Elena again through the rearview before answering him.

"The baby is really tiny, taking him out of the hospital was the last thing we needed to happen. So once Kai is out of the way... I'm going to make sure he's okay." I smiled nervously as Damon continued stroking Elena's hair as he slowly unbuckled her seatbelt and guided her to lay over onto his lap.

Caroline and Matt were in Damon's car following the four of us, hours later we pulled into an old motel parking lot.

Damon's POV

"Hey, is it just me or is this one big Déjà vu." I wondered aloud.

"We've been here before, but how would Kai know that?" Elena added before flinging her door open, dialing a number and waiting, "who you calling?" Jo asked curiously, "Jeremy." when no one answered she hung up again and vamped across the parking lot and upstairs to one of the rooms.

"Damon, I think you need to see this."

Elena was in the old room we'd shared a few years back when we were here with Jeremy, room 236. Where she kissed me, I mean really kissed me for the first time. It wasn't out of pity like she had claimed it to be when I'd been bitten by Tyler. Stefan had told Elena that he thought she had feelings for me which(of course) she did so while I'd come here solely to in not so many words save my own skin, she'd come to figure out if what my brother had said was true.

"How'd she remember the room number?" Jo asked her.

"It's a need to know basis." I told her as I made my way up the stairs.

No one was in there but the door was wide open the knob completely severed and was laying in Elena's hand.

"Did you have to break in?" I looked at her curiously.

"No it was on the floor and the door was already open. She said sounding both confused and a little panicked. The room was clean and totally normal except for the door knob.

"You think it was him?" Ric started to ask before the door slammed loudly behind us.

"Who else did you expect?" Kai just stood there watching the four of us. A smug grin planted on his face.

"Where's my baby Kai?" Elena's voice was tense and filled with anger but Kai wasn't going to cave.

"Oh Elena, it's not any fun if I just tell you."

"Okay, so why don't we play a little game." I chimed in,

"You answer our questions. You answer correct and we move on, but if you're wrong... Pop goes the weasel's little head." I reached for the broken door knob and slowly crushed it flat in one hand.

"Question one... How'd you know about this place?"

Without saying a word he pulled out a phone, punched in a number and waited. A few seconds later Elena's phone began to ring in reply.

"Jeremy..."

"Your brother may be a hunter but that doesn't mean he can't be compelled. I knew he'd be on vervain, luckily I've been drinking it a little everyday ever since Bonnie left me in the prison world... Again. I wasn't a vampire then but what could it hurt right? I just compelled Jeremy to tell somewhere that was important to the both of you."